food interaction for ZYPYRA
alcohol interaction for ZYPYRA
pregnancy interaction for ZYPYRA
lactation interaction for ZYPYRA
Animal studies have shown adverse effects on the foetus, however, there are limited human studies. The benefits from use in pregnant women may be acceptable despite the risk. Please consult your doctor.
SALT INFORMATION for ZYPYRA
How it works
Common side effects
SUBSTITUTES for ZYPYRA
- PYZINA 750MG TABLET(10 tablets in strip)Lupin LtdRs. 6/tabletRs. 60pay 197% more per tablet
- P ZIDE 750 MG TABLET(10 tablets in strip)Cadila Pharmaceuticals LtdRs. 6.02/tabletRs. 60.17pay 197% more per tablet
- MACROZIDE 750 MG TABLET(10 tablets in strip)Macleods Pharmaceuticals Pvt LtdRs. 6.02/tabletRs. 60.17pay 197% more per tablet
- TICIMIDE 750MG TABLET(10 tablets in strip)Themis Medicare LtdRs. 6.41/tabletRs. 64.10pay 217% more per tablet
- P MIDE 750MG TABLET(10 tablets in strip)Concept Pharmaceuticals LtdRs. 7.30/tabletRs. 72.96pay 261% more per tablet
- Dr. Prabhat Kumar JhaMBBS, MD
- Dr. Ashutosh ShuklaMBBS, MD, Diploma, Fellowship
- Dr. Sushila KatariaMBBS, MD, Diploma
- Dr. R. S. RawatMBBS, MD
- Dr. P. R. AryanMBBS, Diploma
Expert advice for ZYPYRA
- Avoid alcoholic beverages while taking this drug.
- Do not have any immunizations/vaccinations while using this medication without the consent of your doctor.
- Contact your doctor immediately if you experience symptoms such as persistent nausea, vomiting, feeling of discomfort (malaise) or jaundice (abnormal liver function causing yellowing of skin and eyes) while taking pyrazinamide. It indicates that you are developing liver disease.
- Constant monitoring of liver function (especially levels of enzymes aspartate transferase [AST] and alanine transferase [ALT]) and blood uric acid levels is advised while on treatment with pyrazinamide.
- Do consult your doctor before taking pyrazinamide if you are pregnant or planning to become pregnant.
- Do not use pyrazinamide, if you are breast-feeding.
- Do not stop taking pyrazinamide without consulting your doctor.
- If you forget to take a dose of pyrazinamide, take it as soon as you remember. Do not double the dose to make up for the missed dose.
- Do consult your doctor if you are taking oral contraceptive medications (hormonal birth control pills) for birth control. Your doctor may ask you to use other means of birth control (eg. condom, diaphragm with spermicide) to prevent pregnancy while taking pyrazinamide.
Frequently asked questions for ZYPYRA
Q.What is pyrazinamide and what is it used for?
Pyrazinamide is an antibiotic. It is used in combination with other antibiotics in the treatment of tuberculosis
Q.Is pyrazinamide bactericidal?
Pyrazinamide is both a bacteriostatic and a bactericidal antibiotic. It stops the growth of bacteria (bacteriostatic) in certain cases and kills (bactericidal) the tuberculosis causing bacteria in other cases
Q.How does pyrazinamide work/treat tuberculosis?
Pyrazinamide kills or stops growth of bacteria that causes tuberculosis (Mycobacterium tuberculosis). The exact mechanism of action for pyrazinamide is not known
Q.How does pyrazinamide cause hyperuricemia and gout?
Following oral intake of pyrazinamide, it gets converted in the body to pyrazinoic acid (active chemical form of pyrazinamide). Pyrazinoic acid blocks the excretion of urates (salt form of uric acid) by the kidneys. This causes an increase in blood levels of uric acid (hyperuricemia). Excess uric acid accumulation between joints causes pain, swelling, redness and stiffness in joints (gout).