Information about Pyrazinamide
Pyrazinamide is used in the treatment of tuberculosis.
How pyrazinamide works
Pyrazinamide is an antibiotic. It works by slowing the growth of bacteria that causes tuberculosis.
Common side effects of pyrazinamide
Jaundice, Hepatitis (viral infection of liver), Increased liver enzymes, Joint pain
Available Medicine for Pyrazinamide
- ₹43 to ₹97Lupin Ltd4 variant(s)
- ₹43 to ₹97Cadila Pharmaceuticals Ltd3 variant(s)
- ₹26 to ₹84Macleods Pharmaceuticals Pvt Ltd5 variant(s)
- ₹6 to ₹63Novartis India Ltd3 variant(s)
- ₹49 to ₹81Marc Laboratories Pvt Ltd3 variant(s)
- ₹17 to ₹112Kopran Ltd3 variant(s)
- ₹40 to ₹65Themis Medicare Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹39 to ₹62Sunij Pharma Pvt Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹76Concept Pharmaceuticals Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹54 to ₹58Que Pharma Pvt Ltd2 variant(s)
Expert advice for Pyrazinamide
- Pyrazinamide along with other medications effectively treats tuberculosis.
- Do not to forget a dose, as this increases the risk of the bacteria becoming resistant to the medicine, and also increases the risk of getting side effects.
- Your doctor may check your liver function before starting treatment and regularly thereafter. Inform your doctor if you notice yellowing of eyes or skin, dark urine, or stomach pain.
- Avoid drinking alcohol while taking Pyrazinamide as this may increase the risk of side effects on the liver.
- Use a reliable contraceptive method (such as condoms or a diaphragm) to prevent pregnancy while you are taking Pyrazinamide as it may make hormonal contraceptives such as the pill less effective.
Frequently asked questions for Pyrazinamide
Q. What is Pyrazinamide and what is it used for?
Pyrazinamide is an antibiotic. It is used in combination with other antibiotics in the treatment of tuberculosis
Q. Is Pyrazinamide bactericidal?
Pyrazinamide is both a bacteriostatic and a bactericidal antibiotic. It stops the growth of bacteria (bacteriostatic) in certain cases and kills (bactericidal) the tuberculosis causing bacteria in other cases
Q. How does Pyrazinamide work/treat tuberculosis?
Pyrazinamide kills or stops growth of bacteria that causes tuberculosis (Mycobacterium tuberculosis). The exact mechanism of action for Pyrazinamide is not known
Q. How does Pyrazinamide cause hyperuricemia and gout?
Following oral intake of Pyrazinamide, it gets converted in the body to pyrazinoic acid (active chemical form of Pyrazinamide). Pyrazinoic acid blocks the excretion of urates (salt form of uric acid) by the kidneys. This causes an increase in blood levels of uric acid (hyperuricemia). Excess uric acid accumulation between joints causes pain, swelling, redness and stiffness in joints (gout).