SALT INFORMATIONMetoprolol(50 mg)
Metoprolol is a beta-blocker and used to treat high blood pressure, fast and irregular heartbeat (cardiac arrhythmias especially supraventricular arrhythmia), chest pain (angina pectoris), overactive thyroid gland (hyperthyroidism), heart failure, early intervention in heart attack (myocardial infarction) and to prevent migraine attacks.
How it works
It works by relaxing blood vessels and slowing heart rate to improve blood flow and decrease blood pressure.Early intervention and start of metoprolol in myocardial infarction reduces infarct size and the incidence of ventricular fibrillation.
Common side effects
Cold hands and feet, Depression or dizziness, A rash or itching on the skin, Runny nose, Nausea, Rash or itching, Heartburn, Tiredness, Vomiting, Dry mouth, Constipation, Lightheadedness, Gas or bloating, Stomach pain
- METPURE XL 50MG TABLET(10 tablet xl in strip)Emcure Pharmaceuticals LtdRs. 11.88/tablet xlRs. 118.80pay 89% more per tablet xl
- STARPRESS-XL 50MG TABLET(15 tablet xl in strip)Lupin LtdRs. 7.30/tablet xlRs. 109.50pay 16% more per tablet xl
- METOCARD XL 50MG TABLET(10 tablet xl in strip)Torrent Pharmaceuticals LtdRs. 5.80/tablet xlRs. 57.96save 8% more per tablet xl
- VINICOR XL-50 TABLET(10 tablet xl in strip)Ipca Laboratories LtdRs. 6.29/tablet xlRs. 62.95same price
- PROTOL XL 50MG TABLET(10 tablet xl in strip)Eris Life Sciences Pvt LtdRs. 5.81/tablet xlRs. 58.10save 8% more per tablet xl
Do not take metoprolol, if you are allergic to metoprolol or any of the other ingredients of the tablet.The drug can cause dizziness in the frst few days. If you feel dizzy or tired after using this medicine, do not drive or use any tools or machines.
- Avoid abrupt withdrawal especially in ischaemic heart disease.
- If you are taking the drug to control blood pressure, check your blood pressure after 1 week and consult your doctor it it has not improved.
- Consult your doctor before taking the drug, if you are pregnant or breast feeding.
- The drug can hide symptoms of low blood sugar in diabetics. Be careful if you are a diabetic.
Frequently asked questions
Q. Is metoprolol safe?
Metoprolol (also available as metolar XR 50/ met Xl/ metolar/ embeta XR) is safe if used at prescribed doses for the prescribed duration as advised by your doctor.
Q. Is metoprolol a diuretic/ beta blocker/statin/ MAOI/ ACE inhibitor or ARB/ calcium channel blocker?
Metoprolol belongs to the class of beta-blocker drug. It is not a diuretic, statin, MAOI, ACE inhibitor or calcium channel blocker.
Q. Is metoprolol tartrate the same as toprol XL?
Metoprolol tartrate and toprol XL are same and Toprol xl is the brand name of the generic drug metoprolol.
Q. Can I take metoprolol with amlodipine/ Nyquil /Xanax/ Aspirin/ Ibuprofen/ Benadryl/ Zoloft/ Lisinopril?
Metoprolol can be taken with amlodipine, Lisinopril, Xanax and Aspirin. It is advised to take Nyquil and Metoprolol with doctor’s advice, because Nyquil contains antihistamines which might elevate blood pressure. Ibuprofen is NSAID, which interacts with metoprolol and should be avoided. Metoprolol may slow down the heart rate, and diphenhydramine can cause drowsiness, so Benadryl should be taken only if needed and under doctor’s advice. Metoprolol tartrate oral will increase the level or effect of Zoloft (sertraline) by altering drug metabolism.
Q. Does metoprolol cause hair loss/ headache/ lower heart rate/ lower blood pressure/ weight gain/ memory loss/ itching/ cough/ itching/ gas?
Metoprolol may cause some of these effects. Always consult your doctor if you experience such side effects.