Information about Glibenclamide
Glibenclamide is used in the treatment of type 2 diabetes.
How glibenclamide works
Glibenclamide increases the amount of insulin released by the pancreas, which in turn lowers the blood glucose levels.
Common side effects of glibenclamide
Hypoglycemia (Low blood sugar level), Nausea, Headache, Dizziness.
Available Medicine for Glibenclamide
- ₹36Emcure Pharmaceuticals Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹12Abbott India Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹6Emcure Pharmaceuticals Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹2 to ₹6Aristo Pharmaceuticals Pvt Ltd3 variant(s)
- ₹5Abbott India Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹10Cipla Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹4Biochem Pharmaceutical Industries1 variant(s)
- ₹27Exotic Laboratories Pvt Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹5Acron Pharmaceuticals1 variant(s)
- ₹8Avinash Health Products Pvt Ltd1 variant(s)
Expert advice for Glibenclamide
- The most common and serious side effect is hypoglycemia (low blood sugar level). If you consume excessive alcohol or if you have irregular dietary patterns, you are at an increased risk of hypoglycemia (low blood sugar level). Do not skip meals when taking this medicine.
- Please be aware of signs and symptoms of low blood sugar (dizziness, tremor, sweating, headache).
- Inform your doctor if you have ever been diagnosed with kidney or liver problems.
- Tell your doctor if you are planning to get pregnant or pregnant or breastfeeding.
- It should be avoided or use with caution if you are also taking nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory agents (NSAIDs), alcohol, β-blockers and ACE inhibitors.
- Do not change the dose without consulting your doctor.
Frequently asked questions for Glibenclamide
Q. Is glibenclamide/Daonil/Euglucon same as glyburide?
Yes. Daonil/ Euglucon are the trade names for the active substance (generic) glibenclamide/ glyburide; thus, they all are same
Q. Is glibenclamide same as glipizide?
No. Glibenclamide and glipizide are different medicines; however, they belong to same family of drugs called sulfonylureas
Q. Why is glibenclamide avoided in the elderly?
Glibenclamide should be avoided in elderly patients because they are at high risk of getting low blood sugar (hypoglycemic event)
Q. What is glibenclamide/Daonil/ Euglucon used for?
Glibenclamide/Daonil/ Euglucon is used for the treatment of type 2 diabetes
Q. Does Daonil/ glibenclamide cause weight gain/ weight loss?
Yes Daonil/ glibenclamide are known to cause weight gain but not weight loss. Always consult your doctor if you experience such side effects.