Information about Glibenclamide
Glibenclamide is used in the treatment of type 2 diabetes.
How glibenclamide works
Glibenclamide is an anti-diabetic medication. It works by increasing the amount of insulin released by the pancreas in order to lower the blood glucose.
Common side effects of glibenclamide
Hypoglycemia (low blood sugar level), Nausea, Headache, Dizziness
Available Medicine for Glibenclamide
- ₹36Emcure Pharmaceuticals Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹12Abbott1 variant(s)
- ₹6Emcure Pharmaceuticals Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹2 to ₹6Aristo Pharmaceuticals Pvt Ltd3 variant(s)
- ₹10Cipla Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹4Biochem Pharmaceutical Industries1 variant(s)
- ₹26Aretaeus Pharmaceuticals1 variant(s)
- ₹6Adcock Ingram Healthcare Pvt Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹2 to ₹6Sun Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹5 to ₹7USV Ltd2 variant(s)
Expert advice for Glibenclamide
- Glibenclamide helps to control blood sugar level and avoids long-term complications.
- Take Glibenclamide 30 minutes before meal, preferably your first large meal of the day.
- Hypoglycemia (low blood sugar level) is a common side-effect; learn how to identify and manage its symptoms (sweating, rapid heartbeat, weakness, blurry vision, headache) and teach your family as well.
- Avoid drinking alcohol while taking Glibenclamide.
- Notify your doctor if you have ever been diagnosed with kidney or liver diseases.
- You should continue to exercise regularly, eat a healthy diet, and take your other diabetes medicines along with Glibenclamide.
Frequently asked questions for Glibenclamide
Q. Is Glibenclamide/Daonil/Euglucon same as glyburide?
Yes. Daonil/ Euglucon are the trade names for the active substance (generic) Glibenclamide/ glyburide; thus, they all are same
Q. Is glibenclamide same as glipizide?
No. Glibenclamide and glipizide are different medicines; however, they belong to same family of drugs called sulfonylureas
Q. Why is Glibenclamide avoided in the elderly?
Glibenclamide should be avoided in elderly patients because they are at high risk of getting low blood sugar (hypoglycemic event)
Q. What is Glibenclamide/Daonil/ Euglucon used for?
Glibenclamide.Daonil/ Euglucon is used for the treatment of type 2 diabetes
Q. Does Daonil/ Glibenclamide cause weight gain/ weight loss?
Yes Daonil/ Glibenclamide are known to cause weight gain but not weight loss. Always consult your doctor if you experience such side effects.