Information about Acarbose
Acarbose is used in the treatment of type 2 diabetes. It is used in addition to diet and exercise to improve blood sugar control in adults with type 2 diabetes.
How acarbose works
Acarbose is an anti-diabetic medication. It inhibits the intestinal enzymes that cause breakdown of complex sugars into simple sugars such as glucose. This prevents blood glucose from rising very high after meals.
Common side effects of acarbose
Skin rash, Flatulence, Abdominal pain, Diarrhoea
Available Medicine for Acarbose
- ₹73 to ₹129Bayer Pharmaceuticals Pvt Ltd3 variant(s)
- ₹68 to ₹1200Alkem Laboratories Ltd3 variant(s)
- ₹73 to ₹131Glenmark Pharmaceuticals Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹46 to ₹87Bal Pharma Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹57 to ₹97Sun Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹68 to ₹117Micro Labs Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹39 to ₹80Aristo Pharmaceuticals Pvt Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹39Zee Laboratories1 variant(s)
- ₹31Elder Pharmaceuticals Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹47Invision Medi Sciences Pvt Ltd1 variant(s)
Expert advice for Acarbose
- Acarbose is used together with other diabetes medicines to control blood sugar and avoids long-term complications.
- You should continue to exercise regularly, eat a healthy diet, and take your other diabetes medicines along with Acarbose.
- Acarbose lowers your post-meal blood sugar levels, and therefore should be taken just before meals.
- Side effects such as stomach pain, gas, and diarrhoea may occur during the first few weeks of treatment but should get better with time.
Frequently asked questions for Acarbose
Q. Is Acarbose/Glucobay a protein?
No, Acarbose is not a protein; it is a complex oligosaccharide (sugar)
Q. Is Acarbose safe?
Acarbose is safe if used at prescribed doses for the prescribed duration as advised by your doctor
Q. Does Acarbose cause weight fluctuations?
Acarbose when combined with low calorie diet and exercise may cause weight loss. Acarbose generally does not cause weight gain when taken as prescribed
Q. Does Acarbose cause hypoglycemia?
Acarbose does not cause hypoglycemia (low blood sugar) if taken as prescribed. However, low blood sugar can occur if you take Acarbose with another blood sugar lowering medicine, delay or miss a meal or snack, exercise more than usual or drink alcohol
Q. How long does Acarbose last?
Generally, the effect of Acarbose lasts up to 3-5 hours, however it may vary depending on the individual taking the medicine.