Information about Acarbose
Acarbose is used in the treatment of type 2 diabetes.
How acarbose works
Acarbose is active in the small intestine, where it inhibits enzymes which are responsible for the breakdown of complex sugar into simple sugars such as glucose. Which thereby slows the digestion of sugar in the intestines and primarily lowers the post-meal rise in blood sugar levels.
Common side effects of acarbose
Skin rash, Flatulence, Abdominal pain, Diarrhoea.
Available Medicine for Acarbose
- ₹69 to ₹121Bayer Pharmaceuticals Pvt Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹67 to ₹131Glenmark Pharmaceuticals Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹46 to ₹87Bal Pharma Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹91 to ₹92Sun Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹68Micro Labs Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹39 to ₹84Aristo Pharmaceuticals Pvt Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹60Novartis India Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹63Dial Pharmaceuticals Pvt Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹47Invision Medi Sciences Pvt Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹38 to ₹73West-Coast Pharmaceutical Works Ltd2 variant(s)
Expert advice for Acarbose
- It is very common to have flatulence, abdominal pain, diarrhoea as a side effect. To prevent this it should be taken just before each meal.
- It may cause low blood sugar level (hypoglycemia) if used with sulfonylureas.
- You should avoid using bile acid resins and antacids with Acarbose.
- Inform your doctor if you have ever been diagnosed with chronic intestinal disorders, hernias, intestinal obstruction and intestinal ulcers.
- Inform your doctor if you have ever been diagnosed with kidney or liver disease. Dose of your medicine may need to be adjusted.
Frequently asked questions for Acarbose
Q. Is acarbose/Glucobay a protein?
No, acarbose is not a protein; it is a complex oligosaccharide (sugar)
Q. Is acarbose safe?
Acarbose is safe if used at prescribed doses for the prescribed duration as advised by your doctor
Q. Does acarbose cause weight fluctuations?
Acarbose when combined with low calorie diet and exercise may cause weight loss. Acarbose generally does not cause weight gain when taken as prescribed
Q. Does acarbose cause hypoglycemia?
Acarbose does not cause hypoglycemia (low blood sugar) if taken as prescribed. However, low blood sugar can occur if you take acarbose with another blood sugar lowering medicine, delay or miss a meal or snack, exercise more than usual or drink alcohol
Q. How long does acarbose last?
Generally, the effect of acarbose lasts up to 3-5 hours, however it may vary depending on the individual taking the medicine.