SALT INFORMATIONMetformin(500 mg)
Metformin is an antidiabetic medicine that helps to control blood sugar in people with type 2 diabetes mellitus.
How it works
Metformin belongs to class of medications called antidiabetics.It decreases the amount of glucose absorbed from the food and the amount ofglucose made by liver. Metformin also increases the body's response to insulin(a natural substance that controls the amount of glucose in the blood).
Common side effects
Flatulence, Muscle pain, Abdominal bloating, Chest pain, Skin rash, Flushing, Abdominal pain, Nail disorder, Diarrhoea, Headache, Indigestion, Bitter taste, Constipation, Allergic reaction, Heartburn
- GLYCOMET 500 MG TABLET(10 tablet in strip)USV LtdRs. 1.71/tabletRs. 17.12pay 72% more per tablet
- GLYCIPHAGE 500 MG TABLET(20 tablet in strip)Franco-Indian Pharmaceuticals Pvt LtdRs. 1.47/tabletRs. 29.44pay 48% more per tablet
- GLUFORMIN 500 MG TABLET(10 tablet in strip)Abbott India LtdRs. 1.75/tabletRs. 17.53pay 77% more per tablet
- GLUFORMIN XL-500 TABLET(15 tablet in strip)Abbott India LtdRs. 1.86/tabletRs. 27.87pay 87% more per tablet
- OBIMET 500 MG TABLET(15 tablet in strip)Abbott India LtdRs. 1.81/tabletRs. 27.09pay 82% more per tablet
- Take the medicine with food to avoid upset stomach.
- Check your blood sugar regularly.
- Do not take metformin in severe diarrhoea or vomiting, or when starting antihypertensive or diuretic therapy or therapy with a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID).
- This medication may cause lactic acidosis (a build-up of lactic acid in the body, which can be fatal).
- Lactic acidosis can start slowly and get worse over time.
- Consult your doctor immediately if you have even mild symptoms of lactic acidosis, such as:muscle pain or weakness,numb or cold arms and legs,trouble breathing,feeling dizzy, stomach pain, nausea, vomiting, slow heart rate.
- Do not take metformin if you need to have any type of x-ray or CT scan using a dye
- You need to get certain kidney function tests done before starting treatment with metformin and regularly thereafter.
- Be careful when taking this drug in combination with insulin or other oral antidiabetics, as it may lead to low blood glucose level (hypoglycemia).
Frequently asked questions
Q. Is Metformin a birth control pill/ insulin / statin/ banned drug?
Metformin (also available as glyciphage, glycomet, glycomet SR) is an antidiabetic drug used in treatment of type 2 diabetes mellitus, particularly in overweight patients, as an adjunct to the diet and exercise.
Q. Is metformin safe?
Metformin is generally safe if used at prescribed doses for the prescribed duration as advised by your doctor.
Q. Can I take metformin forever?
Metformin should be taken at prescribed doses for the prescribed duration as advised by your doctor.
Q. Is metformin good for weight loss / weight loss in non-diabetics?
Metformin is used for the treatment of type 2 diabetes mellitus, particularly in overweight patients.
Q. How long can I take metformin for PCOS / PCOS while pregnancy?
Metformin sometimes used to treat women with polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS). Continuing metformin during pregnancy decreases the chances of developing gestational diabetes. It also reduces the risk of early pregnancy loss, preterm labor and prevention of fetal growth restriction. Depending on your medical history, your doctor might encourage you to continue metformin during pregnancy, or advice you to stop taking it. Always consult your doctor regarding its use.
Q. Does metformin help conceiving / help ovulation / help getting pregnant?
Women with PCOS who are treated with metformin have a better chance of getting pregnant. Always consult your doctor regarding its use.