Information about Ketotifen
Ketotifen is used to prevent asthma.
How ketotifen works
The Ketotifen works by blocking the release of certain chemical messengers that may cause inflammation, spasm of muscles of the airways and other symptoms of asthma and allergies.
Common side effects of ketotifen
Increased sensitivity to light, Acne-like rash, Allergic reaction, Itching, Blurred vision, Headache, Tingling sensation in eye, Burning sensation in eye, Dry eye, Eye discharge, Eye pain, Eyelid disorder, Increased production of tears, Influenza like symptoms, Running nose, Sore throat
Available Medicine for Ketotifen
- ₹68Sun Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹42 to ₹69Torrent Pharmaceuticals Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹22 to ₹55FDC Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹41East West Pharma1 variant(s)
- ₹16Lark Laboratories Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹16Kopran Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹14Intas Pharmaceuticals Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹18 to ₹46Wockhardt Ltd2 variant(s)
Expert advice for Ketotifen
- Remove soft lenses from your eyes before instilling ketotifen eye drop and wait at least 15 minutes before reinserting lenses.
- Keep a gap of at least 5 min before applying some other medicinal product.
- Do not drive or operate heavy machineries as Ketotifen may cause blurred vision or drowsiness.
- Avoid drinking alcohol while on ketotifen treatment as it may worsen the side effects.
- Tell your doctor if you are taking medicines for depression or allergy.
- Tell your doctor if you are or planning to become pregnant or are breastfeeding.
Frequently asked questions for Ketotifen
Q. Is Ketotifen available over the counter?
Ketotifen eye drops are available over the counter. Ketotifen tablets and syrups are available only with doctor's prescription
Q. Is Ketotifen legal?
Ketotifen is legal and available worldwide in many countries
Q. Is Ketotifen a steroid?
Ketotifen is not a steroid
Q. Is ketotifen an antihistamine?
It is an antihistaminic drug
Q. Is Ketotifen addictive?
Ketotifen is not addictive
Q. Is Ketotifen safe?
Ketotifen is safe if taken as prescribed. In case of any side effects, consult your doctor
Q. Does Ketotifen cause weight gain, make you sleepy, or drowsy?
Ketotifen can cause weight gain, can make you sleepy and drowsy
Q. How long does Ketotifen take to work?
Ketotifen oral (tablet or syrup) takes about 2-4 hours to work and lasts up to 22 hours
Q. How long does Ketotifen last?
Generally Ketotifen eye drop takes 15 min to work and lasts up to 5-8 hours.