Medicine Overview of Monocin Injection
Uses of Monocin Injection
Monocin 500mg Injection is used in the treatment of tuberculosis and leprosy.
Side effects of Monocin Injection
Skin rash, Nausea, Vomiting, Chills, Muscle pain.
How to use Monocin Injection
Your doctor or nurse will give you this medicine. Kindly do not self administer.
How Monocin Injection works
Monocin 500mg injection is an antibiotic. It works by killing the bacteria that cause infections.
In Depth Information on Monocin Injection
Expert advice for Monocin Injection
- Rifampin interacts with many drugs. Please inform your doctor about all the medication you are currently taking to avoid interactions that may reduce effectiveness of any treatment or aggravate side effects.
- Do consult your doctor before taking rifampin if you wear contact lenses. Using rifampin may permanently stain your contact lenses.
- Taking rifampin may produce a brownish-red coloration of the urine, sweat, sputum and tears. This is not a harmful effect.
- Do consult your doctor before taking rifampin if you are pregnant or planning to become pregnant.
- Do consult your doctor if you are taking oral contraceptive medications for birth control. Your doctor may ask you to use other means of birth control (eg. condom, diaphragm with spermicide) to prevent pregnancy while taking rifampin.
- Do consult your doctor before taking rifampin if you are breast-feeding.
- Do consult your doctor before taking rifampin if you are aged 65 years or above.
- If you take rifampin irregularly or if daily administration is resumed after a drug free interval, you may experience ‘flu syndrome’ (includes episodes of fever, chills, headache, dizziness, and bone pain).
- Rifampin should preferably be taken in the morning before breakfast. Taking rifampin with food is known to delay its absorption (process by which the active drug reaches the affected site in the body via blood circulation) thereby, hampering its effectiveness.
- Do not stop taking rifampin without consulting your doctor.
Special precautions for Monocin 500mg Injection
Interaction with alcohol is unknown. Please consult your doctor.
WEIGH RISKS VS BENEFITS
Monocin 500mg Injection may be unsafe to use during pregnancy.+more
Animal studies have shown adverse effects on the foetus, however, there are limited human studies. The benefits from use in pregnant women may be acceptable despite the risk. Please consult your doctor....
Animal studies have shown adverse effects on the foetus, however, there are limited human studies. The benefits from use in pregnant women may be acceptable despite the risk. Please consult your doctor.
Monocin 500mg Injection is safe to use during lactation. Hu+more
man studies have shown that either the drug does not pass into the breastmilk in significant amount or is not expected to cause toxicity to the baby....
Do not drive unless you are feeling well.+more
You may feel dizzy or faint, have problems with vision or have other side effects that could affect your ability to drive....
You may feel dizzy or faint, have problems with vision or have other side effects that could affect your ability to drive.
Monocin 500mg Injection should be used with caution in patie+more
nts with kidney disease. Dose adjustment of Monocin 500mg Injection may be needed. Please consult your doctor....
There is limited information available on the use of Monocin+more
500mg Injection in patients with liver disease. Please consult your doctor....
Severely interacts with other drugs like
Gli 2mg Tablet, Glisen 1mg Tablet, Olsertain 40mg Tablet, Reclide 40 Tablet
If you miss a dose of Rifampicin, take it as soon as possible. However, if it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular schedule. Do not double the dose.
Frequently asked questions for Monocin 500mg Injection
Frequently asked questions for Rifampicin
Yes. Rifampin (nomenclature in the United States) and Monocin (nomenclature in Britain) is the same antibiotic commonly used in the treatment of tuberculosis and leprosy
Q. Is rifampin a penicillin/amoxicillin/sulfa drug?
No. Rifampin is an antibiotic commonly used in the treatment of tuberculosis and leprosy. It has a structure and mechanism of action different from penicillin or amoxicillin (amoxicillin belongs to the class of penicillin antibiotics). The chemical structure and mechanism of action of rifampin is different from sulfa drugs
Q. Is rifampin bacteriostatic or bactericidal?
Rifampin is a bactericidal drug. It acts by blocking the activity of a bacterial enzyme called DNA-dependent RNA polymerase which essential for important life processes in the bacteria, thereby killing the bacteria
Q. Is rifampin an inducer or inhibitor?
Rifampin is an inducer (increases activity) of an important liver enzyme system that is responsible for the final processing and elimination of several drugs from the body
Q. What is R-cin 600 used for?
R-cin 600 is a trade name for active drug rifampin 600 mg. Rifampin is an antibiotic commonly used in the treatment of tuberculosis and leprosy. It is also used in the prevention of meningococcal meningitis and Haemophilus influenza infections. It may also be used in combination with other drugs to treat infections-Brucellosis, Legionnaires disease or serious staphylococcal infections
Q. What is R-cinex/Macox plus/R-cinex 600?
R-cinex and Macox plus are trade names for a combination of active drugs rifampin and isoniazid. It is used in the treatment of tuberculosis. R-cinex 600 and Macox plus contains 600 mg of active drug rifampin and 300 mg of active drug isoniazid
Q. Can I take rifampin with ibuprofen/acetaminophen (Tylenol)?
Rifampin has no known serious drug interaction with ibuprofen or acetaminophen (trade name: Tylenol). Inform your doctor about all the medication you are currently taking to avoid interactions that may reduce effectiveness of any treatment or aggravate side effects
Q. Does rifampin cause weight gain/weight loss/ hair loss/ constipation/ yeast infection?
No. Changes in body weight, hair loss or triggering constipation are not among the known side effects of rifampin. Rifampin is an antibiotic commonly used in the treatment of tuberculosis and leprosy. It has no known effect on causing yeast infections
Q. Does rifampin cause headaches?
Yes. Headache is a possible side effect of rifampin
Q. Does rifampin change urine color/turn urine orange?
Yes. Taking rifampin may change the color of your urine (skin, sweat, saliva, tears and feces) to brownish-red or orange. This effect is not harmful
Q. Does rifampin cause liver damage?
Rifampin is safe when used at prescribed doses for the prescribed duration. Constant monitoring of liver function is important while on treatment with rifampin. Taking drugs like saquinavir, ritonavir with rifampin can cause severe liver damage. Do consult your doctor if you have any liver problem before taking rifampin.
Substitutes for Monocin
No substitutes found for this medicine