Information about Rifampicin
Rifampicin is used in the treatment of tuberculosis.
How rifampicin works
Rifampicin is an antibiotic. It works by inactivating a bacterial enzyme (RNA-polymerase) which is required by TB bacteria to make essential proteins and to reproduce.
Common side effects of rifampicin
Skin rash, Nausea, Vomiting, Chills, Muscle pain
Available Medicine for Rifampicin
- ₹19 to ₹79Lupin Ltd5 variant(s)
- ₹48Concept Pharmaceuticals Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹14 to ₹42Sunij Pharma Pvt Ltd4 variant(s)
- ₹14Marc Laboratories Pvt Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹714Zydus Cadila1 variant(s)
- ₹5Albert David Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹55Zee Laboratories1 variant(s)
- ₹17Ipca Laboratories Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹19Aristo Pharmaceuticals Pvt Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹16 to ₹66Novartis India Ltd3 variant(s)
Expert advice for Rifampicin
- Your doctor has prescribed Rifampicin to cure your infection and improve symptoms.
- It is best taken on an empty stomach. If you get an upset stomach, try taking it with small portions of food.
- Your urine, tears and other secretions may become orange-red in colour. Avoid using contact lenses since they may become discolored.
- Tell your doctor about all other medicines you are taking as Rifampicin can interact with many medicines.
- Avoid taking hormone-based birth control methods as Rifampicin may decrease their effectiveness.
- Tell your doctor immediately if you experience unusual tiredness or loss of appetite, fever or chills.
Frequently asked questions for Rifampicin
Q. Is rifampin a penicillin/amoxicillin/sulfa drug?
No. Rifampin is an antibiotic commonly used in the treatment of tuberculosis and leprosy. It has a structure and mechanism of action different from penicillin or amoxicillin (amoxicillin belongs to the class of penicillin antibiotics). The chemical structure and mechanism of action of rifampin is different from sulfa drugs
Q. Is rifampin bacteriostatic or bactericidal?
Rifampin is a bactericidal drug. It acts by blocking the activity of a bacterial enzyme called DNA-dependent RNA polymerase which essential for important life processes in the bacteria, thereby killing the bacteria
Q. Is rifampin an inducer or inhibitor?
Rifampin is an inducer (increases activity) of an important liver enzyme system that is responsible for the final processing and elimination of several drugs from the body
Q. What is R-cin 600 used for?
R-cin 600 is a trade name for active drug rifampin 600 mg. Rifampin is an antibiotic commonly used in the treatment of tuberculosis and leprosy. It is also used in the prevention of meningococcal meningitis and Haemophilus influenza infections. It may also be used in combination with other drugs to treat infections-Brucellosis, Legionnaires disease or serious staphylococcal infections
Q. What is R-cinex/Macox plus/R-cinex 600?
R-cinex and Macox plus are trade names for a combination of active drugs rifampin and isoniazid. It is used in the treatment of tuberculosis. R-cinex 600 and Macox plus contains 600 mg of active drug rifampin and 300 mg of active drug isoniazid
Q. Can I take rifampin with ibuprofen/acetaminophen (Tylenol)?
Rifampin has no known serious drug interaction with ibuprofen or acetaminophen (trade name: Tylenol). Inform your doctor about all the medication you are currently taking to avoid interactions that may reduce effectiveness of any treatment or aggravate side effects
Q. Does rifampin cause weight gain/weight loss/ hair loss/ constipation/ yeast infection?
No. Changes in body weight, hair loss or triggering constipation are not among the known side effects of rifampin. Rifampin is an antibiotic commonly used in the treatment of tuberculosis and leprosy. It has no known effect on causing yeast infections
Q. Does rifampin cause headaches?
Yes. Headache is a possible side effect of rifampin
Q. Does rifampin change urine color/turn urine orange?
Yes. Taking rifampin may change the color of your urine (skin, sweat, saliva, tears and feces) to brownish-red or orange. This effect is not harmful
Q. Does rifampin cause liver damage?
Rifampin is safe when used at prescribed doses for the prescribed duration. Constant monitoring of liver function is important while on treatment with rifampin. Taking drugs like saquinavir, ritonavir with rifampin can cause severe liver damage. Do consult your doctor if you have any liver problem before taking rifampin.