Information about Sofosbuvir
Sofosbuvir is used in the treatment of chronic hepatitis c virus (hcv) infection.
How sofosbuvir works
Sofosbuvir works by lowering a load of hepatitis C virus in the body and removing the virus from the blood over a period of time.
Common side effects of sofosbuvir
Fatigue, Nausea, Headache, Insomnia (difficulty in sleeping), Anemia.
Available Medicine for Sofosbuvir
- ₹19146Mylan Pharmaceuticals Pvt Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹19900Zydus Cadila1 variant(s)
- ₹19900Cipla Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹4865 to ₹19460Hetero Drugs Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹18207Dr Reddy's Laboratories Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹20000Abbott India Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹17517Emcure Pharmaceuticals Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹3790Sun Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹19900Torrent Pharmaceuticals Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹19146Wockhardt Ltd1 variant(s)
Expert advice for Sofosbuvir
- This drug should be used only in combination with Ribavirin or with Pegylated interferon and Ribavirin.
- Treatment with sofosbuvir is not recommended in patients with severe kidney or liver problems or depression.
- Do consult your doctor if you are taking amiodarone (used for serious irregular heartbeats). The risk of slow heartbeat may be increased when taken along with Sofosbuvir.
- Take extreme care to avoid pregnancy in female patients or female partners of male patients who are on treatment with sofosbuvir.
- Take necessary precautions as sofosbuvir does not prevent the spread of infection to other people through sexual contact, sharing needles, or contact with blood.
Frequently asked questions for Sofosbuvir
Q. How does Sofosbuvir work?
Sofosbuvirstops viral replication and thus decreases the amount of Hepatitis C virus in the body thereby resulting in less liver damage and improved liver function
Q. Is Sofosbuvir a protease inhibitor?
No. Sofosbuvir is a nucleotide polymerase inhibitor
Q. Does Sofosbuvir cure Hepatitis C?
Sofosbuvir is used to treat Hepatitis C virus infection. The treatment response with Sofosbuvir (in conjunction with other drugs) varies based on baseline host and viral factors.