Information about Saquinavir
Saquinavir is used in the treatment of hiv infection.
How saquinavir works
Saquinavir prevents the multiplication of HIV virus in human cells. Thus stops the HIV virus from producing new viruses.
Common side effects of saquinavir
Rash, Headache, Dizziness, Vomiting, Crystals in urine, Nausea, Abdominal pain, Dyspepsia, Paresthesia (tingling or pricking sensation), Throat pain, Increased liver enzymes, Diarrhoea, Peripheral neuropathy (tingling and numbness of feet and hand), Blood in urine, Cough, Altered taste, Increased cholesterol level in blood, Increased triglyceride level in blood, Protein in urine.
Available Medicine for Saquinavir
- ₹3086Cipla Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹500Hetero Drugs Ltd1 variant(s)
Expert advice for Saquinavir
- Consult your doctor about taking the medication if you had a history of abnormal heart rhythms (arrhythmias), diarrhea, allergies, liver diseases like hepatitis A or B, symptoms of inflammation from previous infections due to HIV, autoimmune disorders, redistribution or accumulation or loss of body fat, stiffness or aches or pains in joints, weakness or pain or tenderness in muscles.
- Take necessary precautions to prevent the spread of HIV to others.
- If you are on therapy it is important to use effective non-hormonal method of contraception or condom so that a pregnancy can be avoided.
- Do not drive or operate machinery as saquinavir/ritonavir can cause dizziness or sleepiness or problems with vision.
- Use of saquinavir is not recommended in children.
Frequently asked questions for Saquinavir
Q. Is saquinavir hydrophobic or hydrophilic?
Saquinavir is hydrophobic in nature. It is not hydrophilic
Q. What class does saquinavir belong to?
Saquinavir belongs to a class called protease inhibitors
Q. What is saquinavir used for and how does it work?
Saquinavir is used along with other medication for treating human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) infection. It does not completely cure HIV or AIDS. Saquinavir belongs to a class of medication called protease inhibitors. It prevents HIV from multiplying inside the body.