Medicine Overview of Mixab Infusion
Nephrotoxicity, Neurotoxicity, Anaphylactic reaction, Shortness of breath, Exanthema, Fever, Increased white blood cell count (eosinophils), Tachycardia, Urticaria.
Your doctor or nurse will give you this medicine. Kindly do not self-administer.
Mixab Infusion is an antibiotic. It kills bacteria by destroying the bacterial cell membrane.
In Depth Information on Mixab Infusion
- The injectable form of this drug is given only to hospitalized patients and under medical supervision.
- You may get diarrhea after taking the injection. This usually settles as the course id completed. Consult your doctor if the diarrhea persists or worsens.
- Consult your doctor if you get watery or bloody stools after completing the course.
- Do not take polymyxin B if you are allergic to polymyxin B or any of the other ingredients of the drops or ointment.
- Do baseline kidney function test before starting the medicine.
- Consult your doctor before taking polymyxin B eye ointment/ drops: If you are taking herbal drugs or eye drops. If you are applying any non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) or steroids. If you wear contact lenses. If you have thinning of the eye tissue. If you have diabetes.
- Women who are pregnant or breast feeding should consult the doctor on taking this medication.
- Eye pressure should be regularly checked in patients taking the eye ointment /drops especially in children.
- Do not drive or use machines immediately after using the drops/ointment as it may cause blurred vision.
- If you wear contact lenses, then remove them before applying the drops/ointment and wear them only after 15 min.
Mixab Infusion related warnings
Interaction with alcohol is unknown. Please consult your doctor.
WEIGH RISKS VS BENEFITS
Mixab Infusion may be unsafe to use during pregnancy.
Animal studies have shown adverse effects on the foetus, however, there are limited human studies. The benefits from use in pregnant women may be acceptable despite the risk. Please consult your doctor.
Mixab Infusion is probably safe to use during lactation.
Limited human data suggests that the drug does not represent a significant risk to the baby.
Mixab Infusion may cause blurring of your vision for a short time just after its use. Do not drive until your vision is clear.
There is limited information available on the use of Mixab Infusion in patients with kidney disease. Please consult your doctor.
There is limited information available on the use of Mixab Infusion in patients with liver disease. Please consult your doctor.
Frequently asked questions about Mixab Infusion
Q. Is polymyxin B an antibiotic/sulpha drug/penicillin?
Polymyxin B belongs to a class of medication called antibiotics. It is not a sulpha drug/penicillin
Mixab is bactericidal i.e. it kills bacteria
Mixab does expire and should not be used beyond the expiry date
Mixab is not used to treat pink eye or conjunctivitis
It is not used for the treatment of sties in the eyes
It is not considered to be safe for infants.
One of the following vendor pharmacies will deliver Mixab Infusion: SCH, PNT, EQN, ADT, BTM, KHC, BHM, VRS, LHA, ARD, ESY, HSP, WHL, TOM, SWP, BHP, BAP, HAT, DVH, HTS, KMC, ZEL, AAY, SWA, SVH, HNP, SAF, MAM, GHR, MDO, TNH, MDH, RPI, FGH, JVO, EVP, SRG, SBA, JSL, THP, PMA, NVL, PEN, NVY, INC, DHR, SYN, OWP, SHD, SGH, NSL, RJH, PPR, GBL, ABP, OHM, OIP, NDP, DFP, NXG, ENP, TRP, SDM, GTC, BBS, VNS, PRN, SLN, WSI, ZVP, RUS, VDH, 9T9, BLE, MAK, RWP, SGC, BAL, IAD, NAS, DPP, HGI, RSS, DAO, HZF, AAR, MPC, SHP, ANT, PVP, PTI, P2P, HBV, USF, RDH, GPP, SJP, GPT, BSN, BDN, MMS, ATL, AYU, QTM, AGT, DPL, DGN, JIV, EMB, KHH, HEX, CLT, RHL, DLP, GTK, RSA, MAX, RPP, RHW, PWN, RKS, HMP, AYM, SSA, TFP, QLF, LCC, PLT, SBL, HIP, STA, DYG, OLT, MSD, NNH, ATP, GNC, BIO, JVN, NTB, MLC, IPL, BMJ, SHC, RDR, AMR, HPC, UMP