Polymyxin B is used in the treatment of bacterial infections
How it works
Polymyxin b stops the growth of bacteria that cause infections.
Common side effects
Nephrotoxicity, Neurotoxicity, Anaphylactic reaction, Shortness of breath, Exanthema, Fever, Increased white blood cell count (eosinophils), Tachycardia, Urticaria
- ₹1400Bharat Serums & Vaccines Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹11 to ₹1566Lark Laboratories Ltd4 variant(s)
- ₹750Celon Laboratories Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹1644United Biotech Pvt Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹1981Abbott India Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹1404Astrum Healthcare Pvt Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹1500Molekule India Pvt Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹1800AAA Pharma Trade Pvt Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹1789Fusion Healthcare Pvt Ltd1 variant(s)
- The injectable form of this drug is given only to hospitalized patients and under medical supervision.
- You may get diarrhea after taking the injection. This usually settles as the course id completed. Consult your doctor if the diarrhea persists or worsens.
- Consult your doctor if you get watery or bloody stools after completing the course.
- Do not take polymyxin B if you are allergic to polymyxin B or any of the other ingredients of the drops or ointment.
- Do baseline kidney function test before starting the medicine.
- Consult your doctor before taking polymyxin B eye ointment/ drops: If you are taking herbal drugs or eye drops. If you are applying any non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) or steroids. If you wear contact lenses. If you have thinning of the eye tissue. If you have diabetes.
- Women who are pregnant or breast feeding should consult the doctor on taking this medication.
- Eye pressure should be regularly checked in patients taking the eye ointment /drops especially in children.
- Do not drive or use machines immediately after using the drops/ointment as it may cause blurred vision.
- If you wear contact lenses, then remove them before applying the drops/ointment and wear them only after 15 min.
Frequently asked questions
Q. Is polymyxin B an antibiotic/sulpha drug/penicillin?
Polymyxin B belongs to a class of medication called antibiotics. It is not a sulpha drug/penicillin
Q. Is polymyxin B bacteriostatic or bacteriocidal?
Polymyxin B is bactericidal i.e. it kills bacteria
Q. Does Polymyxin B expire?
Polymyxin B does expire and should not be used beyond the expiry date
Q. Does polymyxin B treat pink eye or conjunctivitis?
Polymyxin B is not used to treat pink eye or conjunctivitis
Q. Does it treat sties?
It is not used for the treatment of sties in the eyes
Q. Is polymyxin B safe for infants?
It is not considered to be safe for infants.