Know Your Doctor: Types Of Gynaecologists

Image of woman gynecologist to talking with a patient

Most Indians don’t have a regular gynaecologist like they do a family doctor or General Physician(GP). If there has been no problem with periods, then most Indian women meet a gynaec for the first time during pregnancy. More often than not, they choose the gynaecologist after searching for a doctor who has a clinic close to their residence.

However, there are different types of doctors who specialize in treating different health issues. So consulting the right expert for your reproductive health issues can help you get the right medical advice. Here is a list of types of gynecologists you can consult.


Gynaecologists are experts who diagnose and treat health problems in women related to menstrual health and diseases that affect the reproductive system. Some of the common problems that gynaecologist can help treat include:

-Abnormal periods

-Amenorrhea (no periods)



-Abnormal bleeding

-Uterine Polyps

-Vaginal infections

-Polycystic Ovarian Disease (PCOD)


-Abnormal vaginal discharge


In addition to these problems, you can also go to a gynaecologist for advice on birth control and the right contraception for you.

Gynaecologists also help in the prevention, detection and treatment of STDs and perform certain tests and procedures to detect any anomalies such as breast examination. These include:

-HPV vaccination

-Pap smear


Obstetrician gynecologist

An obstetrician-gynecologist or OB-GYN is an expert who specializes in pregnancy and delivery. Ideally, you should visit an OB-GYN even before you get pregnant as the doctor can prescribe the necessary tests and supplements you need when you are trying to conceive. Then, you can continue to go for antenatal checkup (ANC) during pregnancy.

An OB-GYN can perform surgery and assist in labor and delivery. This gynaec is the one to seek for issues during and after pregnancy such as:

-Gestational high blood pressure

-Gestational diabetes

-Premature labour


-Prenatal tests

-Dilation and curettage 



-Tubal ligation

IVF Specialist

In-vitro fertilization (IVF) is a process in which an embryo is fertilized in a lab and then transferred into a woman’s womb. So if you are suffering from hormonal problems that interfere with your pregnancy or are unable to conceive due to structural problems but wish to become pregnant, then an IVF specialist is the right expert to consult.


They are the experts who specialize in diagnosing and treating problems associated with the urinary tract and pelvic floor. The pelvic floor acts as a supporting structure for the uterus, vagina, rectum and bladder. They are also responsible for performing reconstructive surgery to treat the disorder. Common diseases for which you may visit a urogynaecologist include:

-Urinary tract infections (UTIs)

-Urinary incontinence

-Pain in the pelvic region

-Lower abdominal pain

Gynaecologic oncologist

As the name suggests, gynaecologic oncologists are the ones who specialize in the diagnosis and treatment of reproductive organ related cancers such as:

-Uterine cancer

-Ovarian cancer

-Cervical cancer

-Vulvar cancer

-Breast cancer

(The article has been reviewed by Dr. Lalit Kanodia, Consultant Pharmacologist)

Recommended Reads:

What Causes Infertility In Women And How Is It Treated?

7 Effective Ways To Prevent Urinary Infections In Women

Facebook Comments

Related Articles