‘Party toh banti hai’ because it’s New Year’s Eve! Everyone is eagerly waiting to welcome the New Year with a bang and partying all night with booze. So this 31st, do not go overboard by indulging in heavy drinking which ruins your next morning with a bad pounding headache, queasiness, dizziness, muscle aches, sensitivity to light or irritability. Let’s party hard this year but do keep in mind these effective home remedies to get rid of hangover and tips to prevent the hangover. Cheers…..
What Is A Hangover?
A hangover is a group of symptoms or after effects experienced on the mind and body after drinking an excess of alcohol. The more you drink more are the chances of getting a hangover. The effects of hangover differ from person to person based on one’s gender, age, body weight and the amount of alcohol consumed. A hangover can typically last up to 24 hours.
What Are The Causes Of A Hangover?
Well, we all know the main cause of the hangover is drinking too much, of-course alcohol, but there are some other triggering factors for the hangover as well such as:
– Drinking alcohol on empty stomach.
– Having darker colored alcoholic beverages such as scotch, rum, and red wine. The darker the alcohol, the more likely it is to cause hangovers, because of the presence of more congeners (a flavoring substance in alcohol that is supposed to cause headaches).
– Not drinking enough water
– Alcohol causes increased urination resulting in dehydration. This causes hangover symptoms.
– Alcohol causes dilation of blood vessels which leads to a characteristic pounding headache.
– Females are more prone to get a hangover over males because they have less body water. A study compared male and female of the same weight who had the same quantity of alcohol. In the result, the female had more hangover symptoms than man.
– Drinking interferes with brain activity during sleep causing exhaustion
– Drinking disrupts hormones that regulate biological clocks.
What Are The Symptoms Of A Hangover?
Together, these are the next morning your body experiences symptoms such as
– Body ache
– Stomach upset
– Pain in abdomen
– Dehydration and feeling thirsty all the time
– Lack of balance
– Decreased memory and concentration
– Dizziness or drowsiness
– Rapid heartbeat
– Excessive sweating
What Are The Home Remedies To Get Rid Of Hangover?
So, wondering how to tackle this hangover? Here we enlist few common remedies to get rid of the hangover fast.
1. Water: Water is the best remedy for a hangover, as alcohol causes dehydration in the body. So drink plenty of water if you have a hangover. It will bring the water level back to normal in the body. This causes expulsion of the toxic substances through increased urination.
2. Lemon water: Lemon water made up of lemon juice, sugar and salt is an excellent way of replenishing the lost electrolytes and hydrate the body. You can have this in warm water or cold water as per your liking but warm lemonade is preferred.
3. Coconut water: Coconut water is great to balance the electrolytes because of dehydration caused by alcohol. Coconut water is high in electrolytes, including potassium, helping the body with the much-needed balance of electrolytes. Adding a little amount of lemon juice and sea salt makes it alkaline and hence more useful for the body.
4. Fruit juices or tomato juice: Fruit juices contain sugars (fructose) which replenishes the lost vitamin along with providing fibers and minerals. Prefer citric juices such as tomato juice, orange juice, sweet lime juice, watermelon juice helps get rid of the hangover
5. Honey: Honey packed with fructose, replenishes the sugar level which gets reduced during the breakdown of alcohol. During the alcohol metabolism, when the alcohol is broken down, the sugar levels are dropped down. The honey helps to give body insight, make mineral balance back and stimulates alcohol metabolism in the body. Add honey to your lemon tea or just have honey as such.
6. Ginger: Ginger is a bacterial antidote frequently used in nausea and vomiting. Keeping a little raw ginger in the mouth gives relief from nausea, dizziness and stomach discomfort due to the hangover. You can have Ginger honey tea or just eat raw ginger pieces.
7. Protein & complex carbohydrate: Have some healthy meal rich in protein and complex carbohydrates breakfast the next day. Having complex carbs boost up energy by lifting up sugar levels which drops due to excessive alcohol consumption.
8. Egg: There are some specific amino acids in the eggs such as L-cysteine, helps in cleansing the toxic elements present in the body due to over-consumption of alcohol. Being rich in protein they also help in building the energy reservoir for the body.
9. Banana: Banana being rich in potassium and magnesium is beneficial to cure a hangover, as it provides the necessary Banana and boiled potatoes are good sources of potassium and remove the deficiency of salts (mineral) from the hangover. Having a banana shake is a good way to ease the hangover symptoms.
10. Fruit salad: Eating raw fruits as a fresh crunchy fruit salad is an effective way of treating hangovers. Apples, bananas, and watermelons in particular work as effective hangover cures.
11. Peppermint: Peppermint popular as a mouth freshener is also a very helpful herb. Consume it like a peppermint tea or just chewing the mint leaves relaxes the intestines. Having carminative properties, Peppermint helps to remove accumulated gas from the stomach and intestines.
12. Tea – Coffee: Tea – Coffee is also diuretic and pulls out water from the body. But after a little rest, drink a tight tea or coffee, tannins and caffeine found in them gives you relief from the trademark hangover headache. You can have black coffee with a few drops of lemon juice into it.
13. Bath: Taking a cold bath helps in relieving headache. Cold water compress on face and head also reduces a pounding headache. Avoid warm shower or bath.
14. Good sleep: Alcohol causes disturbed sleep, so it as always advisable to sleep over the handover after a healthy breakfast. It gives the body the much-required rest and time to come back.
Now you know how to get rid of the hangover. But why work on the after effects if you have the option of reducing the chances of having a hangover? Yes, you read it right, there are few hacks that will help you avoid the situation of landing on a hangover.
Hangover Hacks: Tips To Avoid Hangover
– Never drink on an empty stomach.
– Always keep eating in between the drinks.
– Alternate between an alcoholic drink and a non-alcoholic beverage. This will help you control total alcohol consumption.
– Keep drinking water in between your cocktails. It helps you keep hydrated.
– Eating fatty foods such as cheese-loaded pizza or a desi ghee parantha is thought to create a lining of the intestines which makes alcohol take a longer time to absorb into the body.
– To maintain mineral balance, eat bananas or have a banana shake before bedtime after having alcohol as it reduces the effect of alcohol on the body thus preventing the hangover.
– Try to prefer clear alcohol, for example, white wine, vodka, gin etc.
– Avoid sweet and sugary foods after or during your drinks(avoid combining it with cold drinks)
– Try not to have a carbonated drink with alcohol as carbonation speeds up the alcohol absorption.
– Never drink and smoke together.
So in this way you get drunk without getting a hangover. And, if you do get a hangover, the home remedies to cure hangover comes handy to you. Drink smartly and live healthily.
Never Drink And Drive