Let’s defeat coronavirus with clean hands. The most effective way to prevent coronavirus is to practice proper hand hygiene. Hand hygiene is one thing that has to be followed unambiguously by healthy people, sick people, and healthcare professionals. It is in fact more efficacious than masks for healthy people to avoid catching infection, as per the CDC.
But, with the number of coronavirus positive cases being increased globally day-by day, there has been a panic buying of hand sanitizers and store shelves being scarce for it. Here’s how you can make hand sanitizer at home with easily available ingredients in no time:
Ingredients (must have):
– 99% isopropyl alcohol
– Aloe vera gel
Ingredients (good to have):
– Vitamin E oil
– Tea tree oil
– Lavender essential oil
– A glass bowl as mixing container
– A mixing spoon/spatula
– A dispensing container
Steps in the method:
1. Remember the hand sanitizer mixture should contain at least two-part isopropyl alcohol and one-part aloe vera gel, out of a three part mix. So, if you have to prepare 3 cups of hand sanitizer, take 2 cups of isopropyl alcohol and 1 cup of aloe vera gel.
2. Take 1 cup of aloe vera gel in the glass bowl. This will act as the base of the hand sanitizer and has moisturizing properties too.
3. Add 2 cups of 99% isopropyl alcohol to the aloe vera gel. This ensures that your hand sanitizer will have a strength of ~60.66% alcohol. Your hand sanitizer must have at least 60% alcohol as suggested by the CDC. 91% isopropyl alcohol would work as well. Don’t use vodka or any other form of alcohol instead of isopropyl alcohol.
4. Add 5-10 drops of tea tree oil. It is known to have germ-killing properties as per few researches.
5. Also, add 5-10 drops of essential lavender oil. This will add a nice soothing fragrance. You can also use lemongrass or peppermint oil, if you like those more.
6. Add ½ teaspoon of Vitamin E oil. This ensures your hands stay well moisturized every time you use your hand sanitizer.
7. Mix this thoroughly to make an even preparation.
8. Pour it in a clean dispenser and you are good-to-go!
9. You can consider skipping steps 3-7 if other ingredients are not available. Just mix the aloe vera gel and isopropyl alcohol well and store this mixture. This is the most simple do-it-yourself hand sanitizer you can make at home.
Don’t rush, please
Sanitizer can help prevent coronavirus only if you cover your hands thoroughly (both front and back surfaces till wrist; between the fingers, and under the nails), rub it at least for 20 seconds until dry. Squirting a few drops into your palms and then wiping your hands isn’t going to help.
Save It For Later
Given a choice, though, the best thing you can do is wash your hands well with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. Keep sanitizers handy for times you don’t have access to water and soap.
Stay aware. Stay safe.
(The article is reviewed by Dr. Swati Mishra, Medical Editor)
Disclaimer: This article is for informational purposes only. This is no way a substitute to a doctor’s advice or any other form of professional medical advice.
1. CDC, Center for Disease Control and Prevention. https://www.cdc.gov/handwashing/when-how-handwashing.html