Medicine Overview of Zonimid Capsule
Uses of Zonimid Capsule
Zonimid 50mg Capsule is used in the treatment of epilepsy.
Side effects of Zonimid Capsule
Sleepiness, Decreased appetite, Nausea, Agitation, Headache, Dizziness.
How to use Zonimid Capsule
Take this medicine in the dose and duration as advised by your doctor. Swallow it as a whole. Do not chew, crush or break it. It can be taken with or without food, but it is better to take Zonimid 50mg Capsule at a fixed time.
How Zonimid Capsule works
Zonimid 50mg capsule is an antiepileptic medication. It prevents seizures in patients with epilepsy by suppressing the abnormal and excessive activity of the nerve cells in the brain.
In Depth Information on Zonimid Capsule
Expert advice for Zonimid Capsule
- If your child (<12 years old) has been prescribed with zonisamide, ask your doctor for necessary precautions, as they are at greater risk of reduced sweating, heat stroke, pneumonia and liver problems.
- Dress lightly during hot climates or when exercising and check carefully for signs of decreased sweating or heat stroke.
- Drink sufficient water while taking zonisamide to reduce the risk of kidney stones and heat strokes.
- Do not stop using zonisamide suddenly, even if you feel fine as stopping suddenly may cause increased seizures.
- Seek immediate medical attention if you develop serious and sometimes fatal skin reactions (Stevens-Johnson syndrome, toxic epidermal necrolysis), as zonisamide (sulfa medicine) is known to cause such side effects.
- Inform your doctor and seek medical advice if you develop any signs of suicidal thoughts or actions, depressed mood, anxious state, restlessness, irritable behavior or any unusual change in mood or behavior; high fever or long lasting fever.
- Do not drive or operate machinery as zonisamide may cause dizziness, drowsiness, or vision changes.
- Tell your doctor if you are or planning to become pregnant or are breastfeeding.
Special precautions for Zonimid 50mg Capsule
Zonimid 50mg Capsule may cause excessive drowsiness and calmness with alcohol.
WEIGH RISKS VS BENEFITS
Zonimid 50mg Capsule is unsafe to use during pregnancy.+more
There is positive evidence of human fetal risk, but the benefits from use in pregnant women may be acceptable despite the risk, for example in life-threatening situations. Please consult your doctor....
There is positive evidence of human fetal risk, but the benefits from use in pregnant women may be acceptable despite the risk, for example in life-threatening situations. Please consult your doctor.
Zonimid 50mg Capsule is probably usafe to use during lactati+more
on. Limited human data suggests that the drug could represent a significant risk to the baby....
Do not drive unless you are feeling well.+more
As Zonimid 50mg Capsule may affect your concentration, ability to react/respond, and may make you feel sleepy, particularly at the beginning of your treatment or after your dose is increased....
As Zonimid 50mg Capsule may affect your concentration, ability to react/respond, and may make you feel sleepy, particularly at the beginning of your treatment or after your dose is increased.
Zonimid 50mg Capsule should be used with caution in patients+more
with kidney disease. Dose adjustment of Zonimid 50mg Capsule may be needed. Please consult your doctor....
Zonimid 50mg Capsule should be used with caution in patients with liver disease. Dose adjustment of Zonimid 50mg Capsule may be needed. Please consult your doctor.+more
Use of Zonimid 50mg Capsule is not recommended in patients with severe liver disease....
Use of Zonimid 50mg Capsule is not recommended in patients with severe liver disease.
Severely interacts with other drugs like
Barbinol 20mg/5ml Syrup, Epsolin 50mg/2ml Injection, Spentoin 100mg Capsule, Spentoin Injection
If you miss a dose of Zonisamide, skip it and continue with your normal schedule. Do not double the dose.
Frequently asked questions for Zonimid 50mg Capsule
Frequently asked questions for Zonisamide
Yes, Zonimid is a controlled drug. It is not an addictive or narcotic drug. It is gluten free and a generic drug
Zonimid is not used to treat weight loss or migraines
Q. Can I take ibuprofen/prednisone with zonisamide?
Yes, Ibuprofen or prednisone can be taken with zonisamide
Q. Does Zonimid cause weight gain/ kidney stones/hair loss/ weight loss/ diarrhea/ depression/ constipation/feeling high?
Zonimid commonly does not cause all the above mentioned side effects except depression. Please consult your doctor if you develop such side effects.
User Submitted Feedback For Zonimid 50mg Capsule
Patients taking Zonimid 50mg Capsule
Twice A Day
Once A Day
Twice A Week
Thrice A Day
Thrice A week
Four Times A Day