Information about Phenytoin
Phenytoin is used in the treatment of epilepsy/seizures.
How Phenytoin works
Phenytoin is an antiepileptic medication. It controls seizures or fits by decreasing the abnormal and excessive activity of the nerve cells in the brain.
Common side effects of Phenytoin
Rash, Headache, Dizziness, Insomnia (difficulty in sleeping), Vomiting, Nausea, Slurred speech, Vertigo, Confusion, Nervousness, Constipation, Tremor, Altered walking
Available Medicine for Phenytoin
₹11 to ₹2086 variant(s)
₹82 to ₹2008 variant(s)
₹10 to ₹1745 variant(s)
CeletoinIntas Pharmaceuticals Ltd
₹10 to ₹1824 variant(s)
₹113 to ₹1472 variant(s)
PhenykemAlkem Laboratories Ltd
₹8 to ₹1506 variant(s)
EpsodShine Pharmaceuticals Ltd
₹10 to ₹1734 variant(s)
₹8 to ₹152 variant(s)
EptokindMankind Pharma Ltd
₹10 to ₹1362 variant(s)
KiptoinKivi Labs Ltd
Expert advice for Phenytoin
- Take your medication regularly as directed by your doctor as missing doses can trigger seizures.
- Do not change the brand of your medicine and make sure that you have sufficient amount of medicine present with you.
- Some healthy tips to prevent seizures:
- Practice yoga every day.
- Get enough sleep at nighttime.
- Limit the use of screen time such as mobile/laptop.
- Take your medication on time.
- It may cause dizziness and sleepiness. Do not drive or do anything that requires mental focus until you know how it affects you.
- It may increase blood sugar levels. Inform your doctor if you are taking any medicines to treat diabetes.
- It may cause swollen gum (gum hypertrophy), hence take care of oral or dental hygiene.
- Talk to your doctor if you notice sudden mood changes or develop suicidal thoughts.
- Do not stop taking the medication suddenly without talking to your doctor as it may increase the seizure frequency.