Information about Zonisamide
Zonisamide is used in the treatment of Epilepsy/Seizures.
How zonisamide works
Zonisamide is an antiepileptic medication. It prevents seizures in patients with epilepsy by suppressing the abnormal and excessive activity of the nerve cells in the brain.
Common side effects of zonisamide
Dizziness, Loss of appetite, Memory impairment, Drowsiness, Impaired concentration, Altered walking, Impaired coordination, Anger
Available Medicine for Zonisamide
- ₹208Eisai Pharmaceuticals India Pvt Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹40 to ₹159Sun Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd3 variant(s)
- ₹42 to ₹158Intas Pharmaceuticals Ltd3 variant(s)
- ₹57 to ₹93Abbott2 variant(s)
- ₹82 to ₹154Asterisk Laboratories India Pvt Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹57Emcure Pharmaceuticals Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹100Zydus Cadila1 variant(s)
- ₹26 to ₹96Torrent Pharmaceuticals Ltd3 variant(s)
Expert advice for Zonisamide
- Take your medication regularly as directed by your doctor as missing doses can trigger seizures.
- Do not change the brand of your medicine and make sure that you have sufficient amount of medicine present with you.
- Some healthy tips to prevent seizures:
- Take a healthy diet along with regular exercise.
- Practice yoga every day.
- Get enough sleep at nighttime.
- Limit the use of screen time such as mobile/ laptop.
- Take your medication on time.
- Do not drive or do anything that requires mental focus until you know how this medicine affects you.
- Drink plenty of water while taking Zonisamide to reduce the risk of kidney stones and heat stroke. Inform your doctor if you have sudden pain in your stomach, pain on urinating, or if you find blood in your urine.
- It may cause loss of appetite and weight. Monitor your weight regularly.
- Inform your doctor if you develop any unusual changes in mood or behavior, new or worsening depression, or suicidal thoughts or behavior.
- Do not stop taking the medication suddenly without talking to your doctor as it may increase the seizure frequency.
Frequently asked questions for Zonisamide
Q. What happens if I stop taking Zonisamide?
Do not stop taking Zonisamide without talking to your doctor. Stopping Zonisamide suddenly may cause serious problems, including seizures that will not stop.
Q. My friend, who was on Zonisamide, developed severe muscle pain with fever. What could this be due to?
Severe muscle pain or weakness, with or without fever, could be due to Zonisamide. Consult your doctor immediately. The doctor may suggest some blood tests to check your levels of serum creatine phosphokinase and aldolase enzymes. Elevated levels of these enzymes may prompt the doctor to discontinue Zonisamide.
Q. What are the effects of Zonisamide in children?
Zonisamide works well in children and is well tolerated by most of them. The common side effects in children include problems with thinking or behavior, followed by stomach upset. One dangerous side effect of Zonisamide in children is decreased sweating with fever. This affects children but not adults and is more common in summers.
Q. I have been taking Zonisamide for epilepsy since a month, but now I feel that my life has come to an end and sometimes I want to harm myself. Is it because of the medicine? What should I do?
Though uncommon, Zonisamide may increase the risk of suicidal thoughts or behavior. Sometimes, it can also be due to the disease itself. You should immediately consult your doctor who will consider discontinuing Zonisamide. We recommend that you take the help of your friend or relative to go to the hospital.
Q. Does Zonisamide cause weight loss?
Yes, Zonisamide may cause weight loss. If you lose weight, consult a dietician for dietary supplement or try to increase your food portions. In case you lose a lot of weight, consider discontinuing Zonisamide after consulting your doctor. Weight loss may be more serious in children, so be cautious and keep monitoring the weight.
Q. Does Zonisamide affect the working of birth control pills?
No, Zonisamide does not interfere with the working of birth control pills.
Q. Does Zonisamide have any effect on kidneys?
Yes, if you are at a risk of developing kidney stones, taking Zonisamide may increase that risk. Stones can lead to further kidney damage. The symptoms of kidney stones include severe sharp pain in lower abdomen or back pain. Increase your fluid intake which can reduce the risk of kidney stones. Consult your doctor if you get any such symptoms.