Information about Zonisamide
Zonisamide is used in the treatment of epilepsy.
How zonisamide works
Zonisamide is an antiepileptic medication. It prevents seizures in patients with epilepsy by suppressing the abnormal and excessive activity of the nerve cells in the brain.
Common side effects of zonisamide
Sleepiness, Decreased appetite, Nausea, Agitation, Headache, Dizziness
Available Medicine for Zonisamide
- ₹208Eisai Pharmaceuticals India Pvt Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹34 to ₹132Sun Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd3 variant(s)
- ₹36 to ₹133Intas Pharmaceuticals Ltd3 variant(s)
- ₹57 to ₹93Abbott2 variant(s)
- ₹26Torrent Pharmaceuticals Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹100Zydus Cadila1 variant(s)
Expert advice for Zonisamide
- If your child (<12 years old) has been prescribed with zonisamide, ask your doctor for necessary precautions, as they are at greater risk of reduced sweating, heat stroke, pneumonia and liver problems.
- Dress lightly during hot climates or when exercising and check carefully for signs of decreased sweating or heat stroke.
- Drink sufficient water while taking zonisamide to reduce the risk of kidney stones and heat strokes.
- Do not stop using zonisamide suddenly, even if you feel fine as stopping suddenly may cause increased seizures.
- Seek immediate medical attention if you develop serious and sometimes fatal skin reactions (Stevens-Johnson syndrome, toxic epidermal necrolysis), as zonisamide (sulfa medicine) is known to cause such side effects.
- Inform your doctor and seek medical advice if you develop any signs of suicidal thoughts or actions, depressed mood, anxious state, restlessness, irritable behavior or any unusual change in mood or behavior; high fever or long lasting fever.
- Do not drive or operate machinery as zonisamide may cause dizziness, drowsiness, or vision changes.
- Tell your doctor if you are or planning to become pregnant or are breastfeeding.
Frequently asked questions for Zonisamide
Q. Is Zonisamide a controlled substance/ addictive/ Narcotic/ gluten free/ generic?
Yes, Zonisamide is a controlled drug. It is not an addictive or narcotic drug. It is gluten free and a generic drug
Q. Is Zonisamide used for weight loss or migraines?
Zonisamide is not used to treat weight loss or migraines
Q. Can I take ibuprofen/prednisone with zonisamide?
Yes, Ibuprofen or prednisone can be taken with zonisamide
Q. Does Zonisamide cause weight gain/ kidney stones/hair loss/ weight loss/ diarrhea/ depression/ constipation/feeling high?
Zonisamide commonly does not cause all the above mentioned side effects except depression. Please consult your doctor if you develop such side effects.