Information about Carbamazepine
How carbamazepine works
Carbamazepine controls seizures or fits by suppressing the abnormal and excessive activity of the nerve cells in the brain.
Common side effects of carbamazepine
Skin rash, Nausea, Vomiting, Sleepiness, Dizziness, Fatigue, Coordination impaired, Decreased white blood cell count.
Available Medicine for Carbamazepine
- ₹6 to ₹33Novartis India Ltd4 variant(s)
- ₹15 to ₹39Novartis India Ltd3 variant(s)
- ₹6 to ₹30Sun Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd5 variant(s)
- ₹6 to ₹31Intas Pharmaceuticals Ltd7 variant(s)
- ₹6 to ₹30Abbott India Ltd6 variant(s)
- ₹6 to ₹30Torrent Pharmaceuticals Ltd5 variant(s)
- ₹15 to ₹29Micro Labs Ltd5 variant(s)
- ₹191Kinesis Pharmaceuticals Pvt Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹7 to ₹28Crescent Therapeutics Ltd5 variant(s)
- ₹12 to ₹26Arinna Lifescience Pvt Ltd3 variant(s)
Expert advice for Carbamazepine
- Do not perform activities that require alertness during the first week of taking this drug.
- Immediately consult your doctor if you develop blistering or skin rashes.
- Consult your doctor if you show signs of confusion, persistent abdominal pain, yellowing of eyes/skin, easy bruising.
- Carbamazepine can make birth control pills or implants less effective. Use a barrier form of birth control (such as a condom or diaphragm with spermicide) to prevent pregnancy while taking this medicine.
- Carbamazepine can pass into breast milk and may harm a nursing baby. You should not breast-feed while you are using this medicine.
Frequently asked questions for Carbamazepine
Q. Is carbamazepine /Tegretol / Zeptol safe?
Carbamazepine is safe if used at prescribed doses for the prescribed duration as advised by your doctor
Q. Is carbamazepine a controlled drug/ an opiate?
No. Carbamazepine is not a controlled drug or an opiate
Q. Is carbamazepine an enzyme inducer?
Yes. It is an enzyme inducer. Please check with your doctor if you are taking other medications, which may get altered when taken together
Q. Is carbamazepine an antidepressant/ MAOI/ benzodiazepine?
Carbamazepine is an antidepressant. It is not an MAOI or benzodiazepine
Q. Can I take paracetamol/ Tylenol/ tramadol/ ibuprofen/ Advil/ amoxicillin/ codeine/ Nyquil/naproxen/ oral contraceptives with carbamazepine?
All the above mentioned drugs may interact with carbamazepine. Please consult with your doctor before taking this medication. Always consult your physician for the change of dose regimen or an alternative drug of choice that may strictly be required
Q. Does carbamazepine cause weight loss or weight gain/ hyponatremia/ help anxiety/depression/ gingival hyperplasia make you tired/ cause high blood pressure?
Carbamazepine causing the above mentioned side effects are commonly or rarely observed. It is not known to cause gingival hyperplasia and high blood pressure. Please consult your doctor if you experience such side effects.