Information about Fosphenytoin
Fosphenytoin is used in the treatment of seizures.
How fosphenytoin works
Fosphenytoin is an antiepileptic medication. It controls seizures or fits by decreasing the abnormal and excessive activity of the nerve cells in the brain.
Common side effects of fosphenytoin
Headache, Nausea, Vomiting, Sleepiness, Dry mouth, Dizziness, Blurred vision, Itching, Paresthesia (tingling or pricking sensation), Nystagmus (involuntary eye movement), Tremor, Decreased blood pressure, Euphoria (feeling of intense excitement and happiness), Uncoordinated body movement, Altered taste, Ringing in ear, Slurred speech
Available Medicine for Fosphenytoin
- ₹52 to ₹383Zydus Cadila3 variant(s)
- ₹39 to ₹191Intas Pharmaceuticals Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹45Neon Laboratories Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹32 to ₹151Sun Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd2 variant(s)
Expert advice for Fosphenytoin
- Fosphenytoin should be taken at the same time every day to maintain consistent levels in your body.
- Do not stop using Fosphenytoin without talking to your doctor, even if you feel better.
- It causes sleepiness or drowsiness. If this happens to you, do not drive or use machinery.
- Avoid consuming alcohol when taking the Fosphenytoin, as it may cause excessive sleepiness or drowsiness.
- It may increase blood sugar levels.Inform your doctor if you are taking any medicines to treat diabetes.
- Do not start any medicine including herbal or ayurvedic without telling your doctor. As it may significantly change the Fosphenytoin levels.
- Inform your doctor if you have ever been diagnosed with kidney or liver problems.
- Inform your doctor if you are pregnant or planning to conceive or breastfeeding.
Frequently asked questions for Fosphenytoin
Q. Is fosphenytoin a vesicant?
Yes, fosphenytoin is a vesicant
Q. Why is fosphenytoin better than Dilantin?
Dilantin is a brand name of phenytoin. Fosphenytoin does not have side effects which are commonly associated with the use of phenytoin (when injected intravenously or intramuscularly) such as injection site irritation and sudden changes in the heart rate (arrhythmia), hence fosphenytoin is better than Dilantin.