Information about Fosphenytoin
Fosphenytoin is used in the treatment of epilepsy.
How fosphenytoin works
Fosphenytoin controls seizures or fits by suppressing the abnormal and excessive activity of the nerve cells in the brain.
Common side effects of fosphenytoin
Headache, Nausea, Vomiting, Sleepiness, Dry mouth, Dizziness, Blurred vision, Itching, Paresthesia (tingling or pricking sensation), Nystagmus (involuntary eye movement), Tremor, Decreased blood pressure, Euphoria (feeling of intense excitement and happiness), Uncoordinated body movement, Altered taste, Ringing in ear, Slurred speech
Available Medicine for Fosphenytoin
- ₹52 to ₹383Zydus Cadila3 variant(s)
- ₹39 to ₹191Intas Pharmaceuticals Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹45Neon Laboratories Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹32 to ₹151Sun Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd2 variant(s)
Expert advice for Fosphenytoin
- Immediately consult your doctor if you develop any suicidal thoughts, swelling, discoloration or pain at the injection site, serious skin infections such as rash, blisters, itching and fever while on treatment with fosphenytoin.
- Avoid consumption of alcohol while being treated with fosphenytoin as it may worsen the side effects.
- Do not drive or operate machinery after taking fosphenytoin as it causes dizziness.
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant, planning to get pregnant or breastfeeding.
- Do not take if allergic to fosphenytoin or any of its ingredients.
- Do not take if suffering from heart diseases affecting the heart rhythm (e.g. slow heartbeat, certain heart blocks.).
- Do not take if suffering from disorder of abnormal red blood cell generation (acute intermittent porphyria).
Frequently asked questions for Fosphenytoin
Q. Is fosphenytoin a vesicant?
Yes, fosphenytoin is a vesicant
Q. Why is fosphenytoin better than Dilantin?
Dilantin is a brand name of phenytoin. Fosphenytoin does not have side effects which are commonly associated with the use of phenytoin (when injected intravenously or intramuscularly) such as injection site irritation and sudden changes in the heart rate (arrhythmia), hence fosphenytoin is better than Dilantin.