Information about Phenobarbitone
Phenobarbitone is used in epilepsy.
How phenobarbitone works
Phenobarbitone controls seizures or fits by increasing the action of GABA, a chemical messenger which suppresses the abnormal and excessive activity of the nerve cells in the brain.
Common side effects of phenobarbitone
Drowsiness, Skin rash, Nausea, Vomiting, Vertigo, Diarrhoea
Available Medicine for Phenobarbitone
- ₹37 to ₹180Abbott5 variant(s)
- ₹17Samarth Life Sciences Pvt Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹7 to ₹11Intas Pharmaceuticals Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹28Lark Laboratories Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹15A N Pharmacia1 variant(s)
- ₹9 to ₹15Reliance Formulation Pvt Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹2Bayer Pharmaceuticals Pvt Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹3 to ₹6Cipla Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹4 to ₹105Bayer Pharmaceuticals Pvt Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹6 to ₹11Ind Swift Laboratories Ltd2 variant(s)
Expert advice for Phenobarbitone
- Do not take phenobarbitone if you are allergic to phenobarbitone or any of the other ingredient of the tablet.
- Doctor’s advice should be considered in case of patients with following history of disease conditions: liver or kidney disease; temporary or chronic pain; mental depression or illness; disorders of pituitary gland or adrenal gland (e.g. pheochromocytoma); breathing problems; or porphyria (disturbance of metabolism that can be seen as disorders of the skin or other organs).
- Do not take phenobarbitone if you have an addiction to alcohol or drug abuse.
- Avoid taking phenobarbitone if you are pregnant or breast-feeding or planning to become pregnant.
- Do not drive or operate machinery immediately after taking phenobarbitone as it may cause drowsiness.
Frequently asked questions for Phenobarbitone
Q. What is Phenobarbitone used for?
Phenobarbitone is used to control seizures in epilepsy patients and is also used to relieve anxiety. It may also be used as a sedative for patients about to undergo surgery; to treat people who are suffering from withdrawal symptoms from addiction to other seizure medication or who are going to stop medication
Q. What is Phenobarbitone sodium?
Phenobarbitone sodium is one of the salt forms of Phenobarbitone and is used for the same indications
Q. How does Phenobarbitone work?
Phenobarbitone belongs to barbiturates. It acts by slowing down the activity of the brai
Q. Is it an enzyme inducer?
It is an enzyme inducer
Q. Is Phenobarbitone a controlled drug?
Phenobarbitone is a controlled drug
Q. What is Phenobarbitone syrup?
Phenobarbitone is available as tablet and syrup form for use.