food interaction for VMYCIN
alcohol interaction for VMYCIN
pregnancy interaction for VMYCIN
lactation interaction for VMYCIN
Animal studies have shown adverse effects on the foetus, however, there are limited human studies. The benefits from use in pregnant women may be acceptable despite the risk. Please consult your doctor.
SALT INFORMATION for VMYCIN
How it works
Common side effects
SUBSTITUTES for VMYCIN
- VANCOCIN CP 500MG INJECTION(10 ML injection in vial)Astra ZenecaRs. 38.32/ML of injectionRs. 383.20pay 28% more per ML of injection
- VANLID 500 MG INJECTION(10 ML injection in vial)Cipla LtdRs. 37.26/ML of injectionRs. 372.60pay 25% more per ML of injection
- VANCOTROY 500MG INJECTION(5 ML injection in vial)Troikaa Pharmaceuticals LtdRs. 72.20/ML of injectionRs. 361pay 141% more per ML of injection
- VANCOGRAM 500MG INJECTION(1 injection in vial)Biochem Pharmaceutical IndustriesRs. 344.48/injectionRs. 344.48pay 1052% more per injection
- VANCOGEN 500MG INJECTION(10 ML injection in vial)Alkem Laboratories LtdRs. 36.90/ML of injectionRs. 369pay 23% more per ML of injection
- Dr. M. K. SinghMBBS, MD
- Dr. Prabhat Kumar JhaMBBS, MD
- Dr. Sushila KatariaMBBS, MD, Diploma
- Dr. Joy ChakrabortyMBBS, MD
- Dr. Kartavya ShahMBBS, DNB
Expert advice for VMYCIN
- It is given as an oral form or as a drip (intravenous infusion) into a vein or into a muscle.
- Do not drive because you may feel sleepy or dizzy while being treated with vancomycin.
- During treatment patient may undergo blood, urine, or hearing tests to look for signs of side effects.
- Do not start or continue the vancomycin if you have a kidney problem or hearing difficulties.
- Avoid using vancomycin if you are pregnant or planning to become pregnant, or breastfeeding.
Frequently asked questions for VMYCIN
Q.Is vancomycin a form of beta lactam, penicillin, cephalosporin, macrolide, or sulfa drug?
Vancomycin does not contain sulfa and is not a beta lactam, penicillin, cephalosporin, or macrolide drug
Q.Is it bactericidal or bacteristatic?
It is a broad spectrum bactericidal glycopeptide antibiotic
Q.Does vancomycin come in pill form?
Yes, vancomycin comes in pill form and used for the treatment of inflammation of the digestive tract (enterocolitis) caused by staphylococci and severe diarrhea (pseudomembranous colitis)
Q.Does vancomycin cause diarrhea?
No, vancomycin is not known to cause diarrhea. Please consult your doctor before taking the drug
Q.Can I take vancomycin with probiotics, ibuprofen, heparin, Zosyn, Tylenol, Tums, or Aleve?
Vancomycin is not reported to interact with ibuprofen, heparin, Zosyn (piperacillin and tazobactam), Tylenol (acetaminophen), Tums (sucrose and calcium carbonate), or Aleve (naproxen). It may reduce efficacy of probiotics. Please follow the advice of the doctor regarding their simultaneous use
Q.Can I take vancomycin with penicillin allergy?
Yes, vancomycin may be given to the patients who are allergic to penicillin
Q.What organisms does vancomycin cover?
Vancomycin is mainly effective against gram-negative bacteria such as pseudomonas as well as some gram-positive bacteria such as streptococcus. It is a drug of choice for infections due to Clostridium difficile and methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (mrsa).