Information about Amikacin
Amikacin is used in the treatment of serious bacterial infections.
How amikacin works
Amikacin is an antibiotic. It kills bacteria by inhibiting synthesis of essential proteins, required by bacteria to carry out vital functions.
Common side effects of amikacin
Nausea, Vomiting, Diarrhoea, Skin rash, Hearing loss, Balance disorder (loss of balance)
Available Medicine for Amikacin
- ₹21 to ₹85Aristo Pharmaceuticals Pvt Ltd3 variant(s)
- ₹19 to ₹84Biochem Pharmaceutical Industries3 variant(s)
- ₹30 to ₹100Cipla Ltd3 variant(s)
- ₹23 to ₹72Macleods Pharmaceuticals Pvt Ltd3 variant(s)
- ₹9 to ₹67Alkem Laboratories Ltd4 variant(s)
- ₹64Mankind Pharma Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹23 to ₹35Macleods Pharmaceuticals Pvt Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹21 to ₹94Galpha Laboratories Ltd3 variant(s)
- ₹20 to ₹77FDC Ltd4 variant(s)
- ₹11 to ₹47Zuventus Healthcare Ltd3 variant(s)
Expert advice for Amikacin
It is given as a drip (intravenous infusion) or as an injection directly into a vein or into a muscle. Doctor will ensure that patient should be well hydrated before and during amikacin treatment.
Do not drive because you may feel sleepy or dizzy while being treated with amikacin.
Amikacin should be used with caution in premature and newborn babies.
During treatment patient may undergo blood, urine, or hearing tests to look for signs of side effects.
Do not start or continue the amikacin and consult your doctor:
- If you have a kidney problem, or hearing difficulties or tinnitus (ringing in ears)
- If you are pregnant or planning to become pregnant or breastfeeding.
Frequently asked questions for Amikacin
Q. Is Amikacin dialyzable?
Yes, Amikacin is a dialyzable drug
Q. Is its injection painful?
Its injection is painful. Please consult your doctor before taking the drug
Q. What organisms does Amikacin cover?
Amikacin is mainly effective against aerobic gram-negative bacteria such as pseudomonas as well as some gram-positive bacteria such as staphylococcus including methicillin-resistant strains but it is not the drug of choice for infections due to staphylococcus bacteria.
Q. Is amikacin sulfa, penicillin or an aminoglycoside drug?
Amikacin does not contain sulfa and is not a penicillin drug. It is a semisynthetic aminoglycoside
Q. Is Amikacin ototoxic?
Yes, Amikacin is ototoxic
Q. Does Amikacin need to be refrigerated?
Amikacin should be stored at or below 25°C. It should not be frozen