Information about Amikacin
Amikacin is used in the treatment of bacterial infections.
How amikacin works
Amikacin is an antibiotic. It stops bacterial growth by preventing synthesis of essential proteins required by bacteria to carry out vital functions.
Common side effects of amikacin
Application site irritation
Available Medicine for Amikacin
- ₹25 to ₹89Aristo Pharmaceuticals Pvt Ltd3 variant(s)
- ₹19 to ₹93Biochem Pharmaceutical Industries3 variant(s)
- ₹30 to ₹121Cipla Ltd3 variant(s)
- ₹23 to ₹72Macleods Pharmaceuticals Pvt Ltd3 variant(s)
- ₹9 to ₹91Alkem Laboratories Ltd4 variant(s)
- ₹23 to ₹35Macleods Pharmaceuticals Pvt Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹78Mankind Pharma Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹21 to ₹94Galpha Laboratories Ltd3 variant(s)
- ₹11 to ₹47Zuventus Healthcare Ltd3 variant(s)
- ₹115Veritaz Healthcare Ltd1 variant(s)
Expert advice for Amikacin
- Your doctor has prescribed Amikacin to cure your infection and improve your symptoms.
- Do not skip any doses and finish the full course of treatment even if you feel better. Stopping it early may make the infection to come back and harder to treat.
- It is given as a drip (intravenous infusion) or as an injection directly into a vein or a muscle.
- Use caution while driving or doing anything that requires concentration as Amikacin may cause dizziness.
- Your doctor may get regular blood, urine, or hearing tests while you are on this medication.
- Your doctor will ensure that you are well hydrated before and during treatment with this medicine.
- Inform your doctor if you are pregnant, planning to conceive, or breastfeeding.
- Discontinue Amikacin and inform your doctor immediately if you get a rash, itchy skin, swelling of face and mouth, or have difficulty in breathing.
Frequently asked questions for Amikacin
Q. What if I don't get better after using Amikacin?
Inform your doctor if you don't feel better after finishing the full course of treatment. Your doctor may increase the dose of Amikacin or switch you to an alternate option, which may work for you. Also, inform him if your symptoms are getting worse while using this medicine.
Q. Can I stop taking Amikacin if I feel better?
No, do not stop taking Amikacin and complete the full course of treatment even if you feel better. Your symptoms may improve before the infection is completely cured.
Q. How long does Amikacin takes to work?
Usually, Amikacin starts to work within 24 hrs and it may take around 7-10 days to make you feel better.