Information about Cisplatin
Cisplatin is used in the treatment of Lung cancer, Ovarian cancer, Cervical cancer and Testicular cancer.
How cisplatin works
Cisplatin works by damaging the genetic material (DNA) of the cancer cells and stops their growth and multiplication.
Common side effects of cisplatin
Nausea, Vomiting, Fatigue, Anemia, Reduced blood platelets, Diarrhoea, Increased liver enzymes, Peripheral sensory neuropathy, Decreased white blood cell count (neutrophils), Stomatitis (Inflammation of the mouth)
Available Medicine for Cisplatin
- ₹94 to ₹303Celon Laboratories Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹94 to ₹306Biochem Pharmaceutical Industries2 variant(s)
- ₹84Fresenius Kabi India Pvt Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹64 to ₹364Khandelwal Laboratories Pvt Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹316Cipla Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹135 to ₹887Alkem Laboratories Ltd4 variant(s)
- ₹187 to ₹465Alkem Laboratories Ltd3 variant(s)
- ₹81 to ₹310Vhb Life Sciences Inc2 variant(s)
- ₹77 to ₹279Neon Laboratories Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹150 to ₹430Parenteral Drugs India Ltd2 variant(s)
Expert advice for Cisplatin
- You must undergo hearing test prior to each treatment with cisplatin.
- Inform your doctor if you suffer from any infection, nervous disorder or if you have received radiation therapy to your head.
- Special care should be taken while taking cisplatin as spillage of cisplatin in skin can cause tissue damage.
- Avoid simultaneous use of medicines (or radiation) that obstructs the bone marrow function as it can enhance the side effects of cisplatin on the bone marrow.
- Inform your doctor if you are taking any other medicines especially for cancer, infection, recurrent fits, gout, as these medicines and cisplatin may not be safe when taken together.
- Avoid receiving any vaccine when on treatment with cisplatin.
- Do not drive or operate machinery as cisplatin may cause side effects such as feeling sleepy and/or vomiting.
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or planning to become pregnant or are breastfeeding.
Frequently asked questions for Cisplatin
Q. Is Cisplatin polar?
Cisplatin is a polar molecule
Q. Is Cisplatin light sensitive?
Yes, Cisplatin is light sensitive and must be stored properly.
Q. Is Cisplatin a radiosensitizer or vesicant?
Cisplatin is platinum based inorganic compound used to destroy cancer cells and also acts as radiosensitizer i.e. it increases the response to radiotherapy. It is not a vesicant, but can cause irritation and damage to the vein in which it is injected, and damage to skin and surrounding tissues if leaks during injection
Q. Does Cisplatin cause hair loss, weight gain, infertility, neuropathy, hearing loss or hiccups?
Cisplatin can cause hair loss, infertility, hearing loss, neuropathy, hair loss and hiccups. However it is not reported to cause weight gain