food interaction for POLY B (SMR)
alcohol interaction for POLY B (SMR)
pregnancy interaction for POLY B (SMR)
lactation interaction for POLY B (SMR)
Animal studies have shown adverse effects on the foetus, however, there are limited human studies. The benefits from use in pregnant women may be acceptable despite the risk. Please consult your doctor.
SALT INFORMATION for POLY B (SMR)
How it works
Common side effects
SUBSTITUTES for POLY B (SMR)No substitutes found
- Dr. Sanjay VermaMBBS, MS
- Dr. Varun GogiaMBBS, MD
- Dr. Prem VardhanMBBS, MS, Fellowship, Fellowship
- Dr. Ajay SharmaMBBS, MS
- Dr. Parul SharmaMBBS, MS, DNB, Fellowship
Expert advice for POLY B (SMR)
- The injectable form of this drug is given only to hospitalized patients and under medical supervision.
- You may get diarrhea after taking the injection. This usually settles as the course id completed. Consult your doctor if the diarrhea persists or worsens.
- Consult your doctor if you get watery or bloody stools after completing the course.
- Do not take polymyxin B if you are allergic to polymyxin B or any of the other ingredients of the drops or ointment.
- Do baseline kidney function test before starting the medicine.
- Consult your doctor before taking polymyxin B eye ointment/ drops: If you are taking herbal drugs or eye drops. If you are applying any non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) or steroids. If you wear contact lenses. If you have thinning of the eye tissue. If you have diabetes.
- Women who are pregnant or breast feeding should consult the doctor on taking this medication.
- Eye pressure should be regularly checked in patients taking the eye ointment /drops especially in children.
- Do not drive or use machines immediately after using the drops/ointment as it may cause blurred vision.
- If you wear contact lenses, then remove them before applying the drops/ointment and wear them only after 15 min.
Frequently asked questions for POLY B (SMR)
Q.Is polymyxin B an antibiotic/sulpha drug/penicillin?
Polymyxin B belongs to a class of medication called antibiotics. It is not a sulpha drug/penicillin
Q.Is polymyxin B bacteriostatic or bacteriocidal?
Polymyxin B is bactericidal i.e. it kills bacteria
Q.Does Polymyxin B expire?
Polymyxin B does expire and should not be used beyond the expiry date
Q.Does polymyxin B treat pink eye or conjunctivitis?
Polymyxin B is not used to treat pink eye or conjunctivitis
Q.Does it treat sties?
It is not used for the treatment of sties in the eyes
Q.Is polymyxin B safe for infants?
It is not considered to be safe for infants.