Medicine Overview of Normal Saline Infusion
Uses of Normal Saline Infusion
Normal Saline Infusion is used in short term fluid replacement after trauma, dehydration and irrigation solution for eye/nose.
Side effects of Normal Saline Infusion
How to use Normal Saline Infusion
Your doctor or nurse will give you this medicine. Kindly do not self-administer.
How Normal Saline Infusion works
Normal Saline Infusion works by replacing fluid loss.
In Depth Information on Normal Saline Infusion
Expert advice for Normal Saline Infusion
- Your electrolyte levels in blood and other parameters (such as blood pressure etc.) will be monitored regularly as you receive intravenous sodium chloride.
- Tell your doctor if you have disorders of the kidneys, lungs, problems of the heart related to impaired pumping of blood (congestive cardiac disorders), high blood pressure or pregnancy-related blood pressure problems (pre-eclampsia), fluid retention problems or swelling in hands, ankles or feet.
- Seek immediate medical attention if you experience any unwanted swelling, trouble in breathing, muscle cramps, and/or weakness, fits, nausea, vomiting or stomach pain.
- Tell your doctor if you are or planning to become pregnant or are breastfeeding.
- Do not take if you are allergic to sodium chloride or any of its ingredients.
- Do not give to patients with excess fluid or sodium in the space outside body cells (extracellular hyper hydration or hypervolemia).
- Do not give to patients with abnormally low levels of sodium or chloride in blood (hyponatremia, hypochloremia), fluid and sodium retention problems or edema (swelling).
- Do not give to patients with congestive heart failure (heart failure resulting in fluid build-up in lungs and other body tissues), severe liver and kidney functioning problems.
Normal Saline Infusion related warnings
Special precautions for Normal Saline Infusion
Interaction with alcohol is unknown. Please consult your doctor.
WEIGH RISKS VS BENEFITS
Normal Saline Infusion may be unsafe to use during pregnancy.+more
Animal studies have shown adverse effects on the foetus, however, there are limited human studies. The benefits from use in pregnant women may be acceptable despite the risk. Please consult your doctor....
Animal studies have shown adverse effects on the foetus, however, there are limited human studies. The benefits from use in pregnant women may be acceptable despite the risk. Please consult your doctor.
No information is available on the use of Normal Saline Infu+more
sion during lactation. Please consult your doctor....
Normal Saline Infusion does not usually affect your ability to drive.
Normal Saline Infusion should be used with caution in patien+more
ts with kidney disease. Dose adjustment of Normal Saline Infusion may be needed. Please consult your doctor....
Normal Saline Infusion is probably safe to use in patients w+more
ith liver disease. Limited data available suggests that dose adjustment of Normal Saline Infusion may not be needed in these patients. Please consult your doctor....
If you miss a dose of Sodium Chloride, please consult your doctor.
Frequently asked questions about Normal Saline Infusion
Frequently asked questions about Sodium Chloride
Q. Is sodium chloride soluble in water?
Sodium chloride is soluble in water
Normal saline is a neutral salt (neither acidic nor basic)
Normal saline is an example of ionic bonding, where the molecule is formed by ionization of participating atoms and attraction between them
Normally, Normal saline does not have an expiry date if stored under appropriate conditions
Normal saline is ionic, which is considered highly polar
Normal saline does not possess antioxidant property.
Substitutes for Normal Saline
No substitutes found for this medicine