Information about Lithium carbonate
Lithium carbonate uses
How lithium carbonate works
Lithium carbonate works by suppressing the abnormal and excessive activity of the nerve cells in the brain.
Common side effects of lithium carbonate
Tremor, Slurred speech, Uncoordinated body movements, Nausea, Acne, Increased white blood cell count, Memory impairment, Hair loss, Enlarged thyroid gland, Skin rash, Increased thirst, Weight gain, Polyuria, Diarrhea
Available Medicine for Lithium carbonate
- ₹15 to ₹145Sun Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd3 variant(s)
- ₹15 to ₹45Torrent Pharmaceuticals Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹15 to ₹28Intas Pharmaceuticals Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹14 to ₹44Icon Life Sciences3 variant(s)
- ₹15 to ₹50Psychotropics India Ltd4 variant(s)
- ₹16 to ₹41Shine Pharmaceuticals Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹14 to ₹43Talent India2 variant(s)
- ₹15 to ₹38Crescent Therapeutics Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹15 to ₹28La Pharmaceuticals2 variant(s)
- ₹15 to ₹32D D Pharmaceuticals2 variant(s)
Expert advice for Lithium carbonate
- Lithium carbonate is one of the most effective long-term treatment for bipolar disorder.
- It may also be used for the treatment of mania.
- Your lithium blood levels, thyroid function, and kidney function may be monitored as long as you take this medicine.
- It may cause diarrhea and dehydration. Drink plenty of water and and use normal amounts of salt. Inform your doctor if you start or stop a low-salt diet.
- Monitor your weight during treatment as Lithium carbonate can cause weight gain.
- Do not drive or do anything that requires mental focus until you know how it affects you.
- Inform your doctor if you have persistent stomach upset, problems with your speech, or extreme drowsiness. Your dose may need to be adjusted.
- Do not take Lithium carbonate if you are pregnant or breastfeeding.
- Do not stop taking the medication suddenly without talking to your doctor.
Frequently asked questions for Lithium carbonate
Q. Can I take Lithium carbonate for depression, anxiety?
Lithium carbonate can be taken to treat depression and anxiety. Do consult your doctor before use
Q. What can I take with Lithium carbonate for a headache or pain?
Acetaminophen or aspirin can be taken with Lithium carbonate for headache or pain. Do consult your doctor before use
Q. Can I take lithium with ibuprofen, Prozac, Paxil, Zoloft, Benadryl?
Lithium when taken with ibuprofen, fluoxetine (Prozac), paroxetine (Paxil), sertraline (Zoloft) or Benadryl can lead to increased side effects. Do consult your doctor before use
Q. Does Lithium carbonate cause weight gain, acne, constipation, make you tired or make you high?
Lithium carbonate can cause weight gain, acne, constipation, make you tired. Lithium carbonate does not make you high.