Information about Tolvaptan
Tolvaptan is used in the treatment of syndrome of inappropriate antidiuretic hormone secretion (SIADH).
How tolvaptan works
Tolvaptan increases the frequency of urine which, in turn, increases the amount of water released from the body. Removing fluid from the body helps to maintain the level of sodium in the blood.
Common side effects of tolvaptan
Headache, Dizziness, Frequent urge to urinate, Nocturia (increased urge to urinate during the night), Dry mouth, Fatigue, Polyuria, Diarrhoea, Increased thirst
Available Medicine for Tolvaptan
- ₹430 to ₹825Sun Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹430 to ₹825MSN Laboratories2 variant(s)
- ₹523 to ₹830Lupin Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹384Zydus Cadila1 variant(s)
- ₹479 to ₹959Glenmark Pharmaceuticals Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹430 to ₹756MSN Laboratories2 variant(s)
- ₹434 to ₹830Centaur Pharmaceuticals Pvt Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹396 to ₹756Macleods Pharmaceuticals Pvt Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹440 to ₹800Alkem Laboratories Ltd2 variant(s)
Expert advice for Tolvaptan
- Do not eat grapefruit or drink grapefruit juice while taking this medication. If you stop taking tolvaptan for any length of time, do not start taking it again at home. You will need to be in a hospital under observation any time you start or restart treatment with tolvaptan.
- Consult your doctor immediately if you have any of these signs: problems with speech or muscle control, trouble swallowing, trouble moving your arms and legs, mood changes, and seizure (convulsions).
Do not start or continue tolvaptan:
- if you are allergic to tolvaptan, or to any of the other ingredients of this medicine.
- if your kidneys do not work (no urine production).
- if you have a condition which increases the salt in your blood (“hypernatraemia”).
- if you have a condition which is associated with a very low blood volume.
- if you do not realise when you are thirsty.
- if you are pregnant or breastfeeding.
Talk with your doctor before taking tolvaptan:
- if you cannot drink enough water or if you are fluid restricted.
- if you have difficulties in urination or have an enlarged prostate.
- if you suffer from liver disease.
- if you have diabetes.
Frequently asked questions for Tolvaptan
Q. Is tolvaptan / samsca a diuretic?
Samscais brand name of tolvaptan and it is a diuretic
Q. Does Tolvaptan work in pkd-Polycystic kidney disease?
Yes. Recently it is found that Tolvaptan can slow the development and progression of polycystic kidney disease in animal models.