Information about Tolvaptan
Tolvaptan is used in the treatment of low levels of sodium in the blood. It treats low levels of sodium in the blood, which can result from conditions such as heart failure, cirrhosis and syndrome of inappropriate antidiuretic hormone (SIADH).
How Tolvaptan works
Tolvaptan is a vasopressin antagonist. It works by blocking the effect of the hormone vasopressin in the body. This increases urine production, reduces the amount of water in the blood and raises the blood sodium level.
Common side effects of Tolvaptan
Frequent urge to urinate, Nocturia (increased urge to urinate during the night), Weakness, Dryness in mouth, Increased thirst, Constipation
Available Medicine for Tolvaptan
NatriseSun Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd
₹565 to ₹10052 variant(s)
₹632 to ₹9122 variant(s)
₹490 to ₹5612 variant(s)
₹510 to ₹9792 variant(s)
TolvascaGlenmark Pharmaceuticals Ltd
TvaptanCentaur Pharmaceuticals Pvt Ltd
₹499 to ₹9112 variant(s)
₹516 to ₹8252 variant(s)
TolvamacMacleods Pharmaceuticals Pvt Ltd
₹525 to ₹7562 variant(s)
TofantaAjanta Pharma Ltd
₹470 to ₹8202 variant(s)
ShiokemAlkem Laboratories Ltd
₹440 to ₹8002 variant(s)
Expert advice for Tolvaptan
- Tolvaptan treats low sodium levels in the blood.
- It also improves urine flow without causing the body to lose too much sodium as you urinate.
- Take it at the same time everyday. Take it according to the dose and duration prescribed by your doctor.
- To avoid dehydration, it is best to drink something as soon as you feel thirsty, but avoid alcoholic drinks.
- Do not take Tolvaptan if you are unable to urinate, if you are unable to tell when you are thirsty, or if you are severely dehydrated.
- You will need to be in a hospital under observation any time you start or restart treatment with Tolvaptan.
- Inform your doctor if you notice problems with speech or muscle control, trouble swallowing, trouble moving your arms and legs, or mood changes.
- Your doctor may check your liver function before starting treatment and regularly thereafter. Inform your doctor if you notice yellowing of eyes or skin, dark urine, or stomach pain.