SALT INFORMATIONGlimepiride(1 mg)
Glimepiride is used to lower the blood sugar levels in type 2 diabetes mellitus when diet, physical exercise and weight reduction alone are not adequate.
How it works
Glimepiride belongs to a blood sugar lowering group of medicines called sulfonylurea. Glimepiride increases the amount of insulin released by the pancreas, and thereby decreases the blood sugar level.
Common side effects
Nausea, Diarrhoea, Bruise, Bleeding, Blood in stool, Dark colored urine, Dizziness, Sore throat, Stomach pain / epigastric pain, Yellow discoloration of skin, Yellow discoloration of eye, Weakness, Fever
- GLIMY 1 MG TABLET(15 tablet in strip)Dr Reddy's Laboratories LtdRs. 3.50/tabletRs. 52.45pay 49% more per tablet
- ZORYL 1 MG TABLET(15 tablet in strip)Intas Pharmaceuticals LtdRs. 3.50/tabletRs. 52.45pay 49% more per tablet
- GP 1 MG TABLET(10 tablet in strip)USV LtdRs. 3.50/tabletRs. 34.97pay 49% more per tablet
- AZULIX 1 MG TABLET(10 tablet in strip)Torrent Pharmaceuticals LtdRs. 3.50/tabletRs. 34.96pay 49% more per tablet
- GLIMER 1 MG TABLET(10 tablet in strip)Abbott India LtdRs. 3.50/tabletRs. 34.96pay 49% more per tablet
- Take glimepiride just before or with the first main meal of the day.
- Do not skip any meal while taking glimepiride.
- Swallow the glimepiride tablet without crushing or chewing with at least half a glass of water.
- Do not take glimepiride if you are allergic to glimepiride, other sulfonylureas, sulfonamides
- Glimepiride tablets should not be given to children and adolescents under 18 years of age.
Frequently asked questions
Q. The drug is not safe during breast feeding.Is glimepiride safe?
Glimepiride is safe if used at prescribed doses for the prescribed duration as advised by your doctor.
Q. Is glimepiride a generic drug?
Yes, glimepiride is a generic drug sold under several pharmaceutical brand names (Amaryl, Zoryl, etc.).
Q. Can I take glimepiride with metformin or insulin?
Glimepiride may be given in combination with metformin and/or insulin depending on your medical condition and as prescribed by the doctor.
Q. Does glimepiride cause fluctuations in weight,diarrhea, hair loss, erectile dysfunction, swelling, constipation?
Glimepiride is reported to cause low blood sugar level,weight gain, and swelling, but is not reported to cause diarrhea, constipation, hair loss, or erectile dysfunction.
Q. Is glimepiride a fast acting sulfa drug?
Glimepiride is a medium- to long-acting sulfonylurea drug against type 2 diabetes mellitus (action lasts for 24 hours). Its maximum effect is seen after 2-3 hours of drug intake.
Q. Is glimepiride same as glipizide, glyburide, metformin, or insulin?
They are not same. Glimepiride, glipizide and glyburide belong to the same class of drugs called sulfonylureas. Metformin belong to class called biguanides.Glimepiride causes release of insulin but it is not insulin.It should only be used if no other alternative drug is available. Please follow your doctor's advice regarding its use.