Information about Glimepiride
Glimepiride is used in the treatment of type 2 diabetes.
How glimepiride works
Glimepiride increases the amount of insulin released by the pancreas, which in turn lowers the blood glucose levels.
Common side effects of glimepiride
Hypoglycemia (Low blood sugar level), Nausea, Headache, Dizziness.
Available Medicine for Glimepiride
- ₹106 to ₹397Sanofi India Ltd4 variant(s)
- ₹35 to ₹130USV Ltd5 variant(s)
- ₹53 to ₹193Intas Pharmaceuticals Ltd5 variant(s)
- ₹34 to ₹135Torrent Pharmaceuticals Ltd4 variant(s)
- ₹23 to ₹48Mankind Pharma Ltd4 variant(s)
- ₹34 to ₹66Lupin Ltd4 variant(s)
- ₹34 to ₹122Micro Labs Ltd3 variant(s)
- ₹34 to ₹85Abbott India Ltd3 variant(s)
- ₹32 to ₹154Zydus Cadila3 variant(s)
- ₹31 to ₹98Aristo Pharmaceuticals Pvt Ltd4 variant(s)
Expert advice for Glimepiride
- The most common and serious side effect is hypoglycemia (low blood sugar level). If you consume excessive alcohol or if you have irregular dietary patterns, you are at an increased risk of hypoglycemia (low blood sugar level). Do not skip meals when taking this medicine.
- Please be aware of signs and symptoms of low blood sugar (dizziness, tremor, sweating, headache).
- Inform your doctor if you have ever been diagnosed with kidney or liver problems.
- Tell your doctor if you are planning to get pregnant or pregnant or breastfeeding.
- It should be avoided or use with caution if you are also taking nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory agents (NSAIDs), alcohol, β-blockers and ACE inhibitors.
- Do not change the dose without consulting your doctor.
Frequently asked questions for Glimepiride
Q. Is glimepiride a generic drug?
Yes, glimepiride is a generic drug sold under several pharmaceutical brand names (Amaryl, Zoryl, etc.)
Q. Can I take glimepiride with metformin or insulin?
Glimepiride may be given in combination with metformin and/or insulin depending on your medical condition and as prescribed by the doctor
Q. Does glimepiride cause fluctuations in weight,diarrhea, hair loss, erectile dysfunction, swelling, constipation?
Glimepiride is reported to cause low blood sugar level,weight gain, and swelling, but is not reported to cause diarrhea, constipation, hair loss, or erectile dysfunction
Q. Is glimepiride a fast acting sulfa drug?
Glimepiride is a medium- to long-acting sulfonylurea drug against type 2 diabetes mellitus (action lasts for 24 hours). Its maximum effect is seen after 2-3 hours of drug intake
Q. Is glimepiride same as glipizide, glyburide, metformin, or insulin?
They are not same. Glimepiride, glipizide and glyburide belong to the same class of drugs called sulfonylureas. Metformin belong to class called biguanides.Glimepiride causes release of insulin but it is not insulin.It should only be used if no other alternative drug is available. Please follow your doctor's advice regarding its use.
Q. How is Glimepiride different from teneligliptin?
Both Glimepiride and teneligliptin are effective in lowering blood glucose levels, however, they work in different ways and have different side effect profile. Hypoglycemia and weight gain are common side effects of Glimepiride while teneligliptin causes hypoglycemia only when used along with insulins or sulfonylureas and it does not cause any weight gain. It commonly causes a headache and nasopharyngitis.