Substitutes for CHLORPROMAZINE HCL
No substitutes found for this medicine
Medicine Overview of CHLORPROMAZINE HCL INJECTION
Uses of CHLORPROMAZINE HCL INJECTION
Chlorpromazine hcl injection is used in the treatment of schizophrenia.
Side effects of CHLORPROMAZINE HCL INJECTION
Weight gain, Orthostatic hypotension (sudden lowering of blood pressure on standing), Sleepiness, Akathisia, Dystonia, Dry mouth, Constipation, Abnormality of voluntary movements, Parkinsonism.
How to use CHLORPROMAZINE HCL INJECTION
Your doctor or nurse will give you this medicine. Kindly do not self administer.
How CHLORPROMAZINE HCL INJECTION works
Chlorpromazine hcl injection works by blocking the action of dopamine, a chemical messenger in the brain that affects the thoughts and moods.
In Depth Information on CHLORPROMAZINE HCL INJECTION
Expert advice for CHLORPROMAZINE HCL INJECTION
- Do not use chlorpromazine in children < 1 year unless the need is lifesaving or in children ≤12 years for the treatment of hiccups.
- Tell your doctor before taking chlorpromazine if you are suffering from liver or kidney disease, epilepsy, Parkinson’s disease, reduced activity of thyroid gland (hypothyroidism), heart disease, raised eyeball pressure (glaucoma), diabetes, tendency to form blood clots or a family history of clotting disorder, pheochromocytoma (high blood pressure due to a tumour near the kidney), or enlarged prostate.
- Inform your doctor if you have known cardiovascular disease or family history of QT prolongation and if you are taking medicines that may prolong the QT interval.
- Inform your doctor of other medications that you may be taking for psychiatric disorders, lowering of blood pressure, insomnia, fits, Parkinson’s disease, migraine etc.
- Do not stop taking chlorpromazine or change its dose without consulting your doctor.
- Monitor blood glucose regularly while on chlorpromazine treatment, if you are a patient with diabetes
- Do not drive or operate heavy machinery after taking chlorpromazine as it may cause drowsiness and visual disturbances.
- Do not consume this drug if you are allergic to any phenothiazine drug, chlorpromazine or any of its ingredients.
- Tell your doctor if you are or planning to become pregnant or are breastfeeding.
Special precautions for CHLORPROMAZINE HCL INJECTION
Chlorpromazine hcl injection may cause excessive drowsiness and calmness with alcohol.
WEIGH RISKS VS BENEFITS
Chlorpromazine hcl injection may be unsafe to use during pregnancy.+more
Animal studies have shown adverse effects on the foetus, however, there are limited human studies. The benefits from use in pregnant women may be acceptable despite the risk. Please consult your doctor....
Animal studies have shown adverse effects on the foetus, however, there are limited human studies. The benefits from use in pregnant women may be acceptable despite the risk. Please consult your doctor.
Unknown. Human and animal studies are not available. Please consult your doctor.
Patients should be warned not to drive or operate machinery.
Caution should be used in patients with renal impairment.
There is no data available. Please consult doctor before consuming the drug.
Severely interacts with other drugs like
ONABET POWDER, FLUGEE 150MG TABLET, TRAMAZAC HP 50MG INJECTION, BENADRYL DR DRY COUGH ACTIVE RELIEF SYRUP
Frequently asked questions for CHLORPROMAZINE HCL NA INJECTION
Frequently asked questions for Chlorpromazine
Q. Is chlorpromazine a benzodiazepine/sleeping tablet?
Chlorpromazine is not a benzodiazepine. It belongs to a class of medicines called phenothiazine antipsychotics. Chlorpromazine should not be used as a sleeping tablet
Q. Is it good for anxiety?
It is used in patients with schizophrenia but it relieves anxiety too at certain levels
Q. Is chlorpromazine a controlled substance/narcotic?
No. Chlorpromazine is not a controlled substance/ narcotic. However, it can be purchased only after producing a doctor's prescription
Q. Does chlorpromazine cause weight gain/sleepiness/euphoric (high)?
Yes, chlorpromazine may cause weight gain and sleepiness
Q. Is it addictive?
Chlorpromazine does not have high addictive potential and a very little propensity for abuse for euphoria
Q. Does chlorpromazine decrease dopamine?
Chlorpromazine is dopamine receptor blocker so it decreases dopamine levels to calm the patients with schizophrenia
Q. Does chlorpromazine help with opiate withdrawal?
It has been observed that chlorpromazine helps in certain cases of opiate withdrawal. However, it is not widely used for this purpose. Please follow your doctor's advice regarding its use.