Medicine Overview of Chlorpromazine Hcl Injection
Uses of Chlorpromazine Hcl Injection
Chlorpromazine Hcl Injection is used in the treatment of schizophrenia.
Side effects of Chlorpromazine Hcl Injection
Weight gain, Orthostatic hypotension (sudden lowering of blood pressure on standing), Sleepiness, Akathisia, Dystonia, Dry mouth, Constipation, Abnormality of voluntary movements, Parkinsonism.
How to use Chlorpromazine Hcl Injection
Your doctor or nurse will give you this medicine. Kindly do not self administer.
How Chlorpromazine Hcl Injection works
Chlorpromazine hcl injection is a typical antipsychotic. It works by blocking the action of dopamine, a chemical messenger in the brain that affects thoughts and mood.
In Depth Information on Chlorpromazine Hcl Injection
Expert advice for Chlorpromazine Hcl Injection
- Do not use chlorpromazine in children < 1 year unless the need is lifesaving or in children ≤12 years for the treatment of hiccups.
- Tell your doctor before taking chlorpromazine if you are suffering from liver or kidney disease, epilepsy, Parkinson’s disease, reduced activity of thyroid gland (hypothyroidism), heart disease, raised eyeball pressure (glaucoma), diabetes, tendency to form blood clots or a family history of clotting disorder, pheochromocytoma (high blood pressure due to a tumour near the kidney), or enlarged prostate.
- Inform your doctor if you have known cardiovascular disease or family history of QT prolongation and if you are taking medicines that may prolong the QT interval.
- Inform your doctor of other medications that you may be taking for psychiatric disorders, lowering of blood pressure, insomnia, fits, Parkinson’s disease, migraine etc.
- Do not stop taking chlorpromazine or change its dose without consulting your doctor.
- Monitor blood glucose regularly while on chlorpromazine treatment, if you are a patient with diabetes
- Do not drive or operate heavy machinery after taking chlorpromazine as it may cause drowsiness and visual disturbances.
- Do not consume this drug if you are allergic to any phenothiazine drug, chlorpromazine or any of its ingredients.
- Tell your doctor if you are or planning to become pregnant or are breastfeeding.
Special precautions for Chlorpromazine Hcl Injection
Chlorpromazine Hcl Injection may cause excessive drowsiness and calmness with alcohol.
WEIGH RISKS VS BENEFITS
Chlorpromazine Hcl Injection may be unsafe to use during pregnancy.+more
Animal studies have shown adverse effects on the foetus, however, there are limited human studies. The benefits from use in pregnant women may be acceptable despite the risk. Please consult your doctor....
Animal studies have shown adverse effects on the foetus, however, there are limited human studies. The benefits from use in pregnant women may be acceptable despite the risk. Please consult your doctor.
Chlorpromazine Hcl Injection is probably usafe to use during lactation. Limited human data suggests that the drug could represent a significant risk to the baby.+more
If the Chlorpromazine Hcl Injection is given, monitor the baby for excessive sleepiness during breastfeeding....
If the Chlorpromazine Hcl Injection is given, monitor the baby for excessive sleepiness during breastfeeding.
Chlorpromazine Hcl Injection may make you feel dizzy, sleepy+more
, tired, or decrease alertness. If this happens, do not drive....
Chlorpromazine Hcl Injection is safe to use in patients with kidney disease. No dose adjustment of Chlorpromazine Hcl Injection is recommended.+more
However, inform your doctor if you have any underlying kidney disease. A close monitoring is advisable while you are taking this medicine....
However, inform your doctor if you have any underlying kidney disease. A close monitoring is advisable while you are taking this medicine.
There is limited information available on the use of Chlorpr+more
omazine Hcl Injection in patients with liver disease. Please consult your doctor....
Severely interacts with other drugs like
Onitraz 100mg Capsule, Flugee 150mg Tablet, Tramazac HP 50mg Injection, Zathrin Redimix Suspension
Frequently asked questions for Chlorpromazine Hcl NA Injection
Frequently asked questions for Chlorpromazine
Chlorpromazine hcl is not a benzodiazepine. It belongs to a class of medicines called phenothiazine antipsychotics. Chlorpromazine hcl should not be used as a sleeping tablet
Q. Is it good for anxiety?
It is used in patients with schizophrenia but it relieves anxiety too at certain levels
No. Chlorpromazine hcl is not a controlled substance/ narcotic. However, it can be purchased only after producing a doctor's prescription
Yes, Chlorpromazine hcl may cause weight gain and sleepiness
Q. Is it addictive?
Chlorpromazine does not have high addictive potential and a very little propensity for abuse for euphoria
Q. Does chlorpromazine decrease dopamine?
Chlorpromazine is dopamine receptor blocker so it decreases dopamine levels to calm the patients with schizophrenia
It has been observed that Chlorpromazine hcl helps in certain cases of opiate withdrawal. However, it is not widely used for this purpose. Please follow your doctor's advice regarding its use.
Substitutes for Chlorpromazine Hcl
No substitutes found for this medicine