Information about Ondansetron
How ondansetron works
Ondansetron is an antiemetic (anti-nausea medicine). It inhibits the action of serotonin, a chemical messenger that can trigger nausea and vomiting.
Common side effects of ondansetron
Fatigue, Headache, Injection site allergic reaction, Flushing (sense of warmth in the face, ears, neck and trunk), Constipation
Available Medicine for Ondansetron
- ₹11 to ₹100Alkem Laboratories Ltd6 variant(s)
- ₹9 to ₹132Mankind Pharma Ltd8 variant(s)
- ₹36 to ₹233Cipla Ltd6 variant(s)
- ₹33 to ₹125Sun Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd5 variant(s)
- ₹12 to ₹68Ipca Laboratories Ltd6 variant(s)
- ₹16 to ₹49Bennet Pharmaceuticals Limited5 variant(s)
- ₹33 to ₹47Zuventus Healthcare Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹32 to ₹50Akumentis Healthcare Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹17 to ₹56Galpha Laboratories Ltd3 variant(s)
- ₹28 to ₹31Blue Cross Laboratories Ltd3 variant(s)
Expert advice for Ondansetron
- Take Ondansetron 30 minutes before your food.
- If you vomit within 30 minutes after taking the Ondansetron, take the same amount again. If vomiting continues, check with your doctor.
- If Ondansetron is used for a short duration, for e.g. 6 -10 days, the risk of side-effects is minimal (well-tolerated).
- You can use oral disintegrating film/strip (medicated strip that dissolves when comes in contact with a wet surface) form of the Ondansetron if you are nauseous to swallow a tablet or capsule.
- If you are using Ondansetron in the form of oral disintegrating film/strip:
- Make sure your hands are dry.
- Immediately place the film/strip on the top of the tongue.
- The film/strip will dissolve in seconds and you can swallow it with your saliva.
- You do not need to drink water or other liquids to swallow the film/strip.
Frequently asked questions for Ondansetron
Q. What is Emset/ondem/Vomikind/Zafran/ Ranidom used for?
Emset/Ondem/Vomikind/Zafran are some of the brand names of ondansetron, which is used to treat nausea and vomiting. Ranidom is a brand containing the active ingredient Esomeprazole, which is used to treat acidity
Q. Can I take ondansetron for nausea/vomiting/stomach flu/food poisoning/motion sickness/diarrhea/pain?
Ondansetron can be taken for nausea, vomiting or motion sickness if prescribed by your doctor. It is not used to treat food poisoning, pain or stomach flu
Q. Can I take ondansetron with Tylenol/Pepto bismol/azithromycin/ xanax/ vicodin/ oxycodone/ hydrocodone?
There is no evidence of interaction of ondansetron with Tylenol (paracetamol)/Pepto bismol (bismuth salicylate)/azithromycin/ Xanax (alprazolam)/ Vicodin (aspirin and hydrocodone)/oxycodone/hydrocodone. However, please consult your doctor before use
Q. Can ondansetron make you sleepy?
Ondansetron may cause sleepiness/dizziness. If you notice such symptoms, please consult your doctor
Q. Does ondansetron contain acetaminophen/aspirin/penicillin?
No. Ondansetron is by itself a chemical compound. It does not contain acetaminophen, aspirin or penicillin
Q. Is ondansetron antibiotic/anti-histaminic/sulfa drug?
No. Ondansetron is not an anti-biotic, sulfa drug or an anti-histaminic. It is an anti-emetic drug used to treat nausea and vomiting
Q. Is Emeset safe for infants/toddlers?
Emeset should not be used in infants/toddlers unless prescribed by the doctor
Q. Is Ondansetron an OTC drug?
No. Ondansetron is a prescription drug. It is not available over the counter
Q. Is ondansetron a controlled substance?
No. Ondansetron is not a controlled substance.
Q. Q. Can I take Ondansetron with omeprazole?
Ondansetron is an anti-emetic medicine which helps in relieving nausea (feeling sick) or vomiting. No harmful effects have been seen when omeprazole is used with Ondansetron. So, these two medicines can be taken together.