Information about Ondansetron
How ondansetron works
Ondansetron is an antiemetic medication. It works by blocking the action of a chemical messenger (serotonin) in the brain that may cause nausea and vomiting during anti-cancer treatment (chemotherapy) or after surgery.
Common side effects of ondansetron
Fatigue, Headache, Constipation, Diarrhea, Decreased oxygen level in blood
Available Medicine for Ondansetron
- ₹12 to ₹107Alkem Laboratories Ltd6 variant(s)
- ₹11 to ₹138Mankind Pharma Ltd9 variant(s)
- ₹23 to ₹257Cipla Ltd7 variant(s)
- ₹12 to ₹68Ipca Laboratories Ltd6 variant(s)
- ₹11 to ₹125Sun Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd7 variant(s)
- ₹11 to ₹52Zuventus Healthcare Ltd4 variant(s)
- ₹286 to ₹330Delvin Formulations Pvt Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹29 to ₹31Blue Cross Laboratories Ltd3 variant(s)
- ₹11 to ₹48Galpha Laboratories Ltd3 variant(s)
- ₹34 to ₹48Macleods Pharmaceuticals Pvt Ltd2 variant(s)
Expert advice for Ondansetron
- You have been prescribed Ondansetron for prevention of nausea and vomiting caused by chemotherapy, radiotherapy and after surgery.
- Unlike some other nausea medicines, the side effects for Ondansetron are relatively mild.
- It comes in many different forms that you don't have to swallow, such as a film that goes on the tongue or a dissolving pill.
- It is fast-acting and starts working within 30 minutes.
- If you vomit within one hour of taking a dose, take another dose.
- Avoid heavy meals and try eating small nourishing snacks throughout the day. Also, sip water regularly to help avoid dehydration.
Frequently asked questions for Ondansetron
Q. What is Emset/ondem/Vomikind/Zafran/ Ranidom used for?
Emset/Ondem/Vomikind/Zafran are some of the brand names of ondansetron, which is used to treat nausea and vomiting. Ranidom is a brand containing the active ingredient Esomeprazole, which is used to treat acidity
Q. Can I take ondansetron for nausea/vomiting/stomach flu/food poisoning/motion sickness/diarrhea/pain?
Ondansetron can be taken for nausea, vomiting or motion sickness if prescribed by your doctor. It is not used to treat food poisoning, pain or stomach flu
Q. Can I take ondansetron with Tylenol/Pepto bismol/azithromycin/ xanax/ vicodin/ oxycodone/ hydrocodone?
There is no evidence of interaction of ondansetron with Tylenol (paracetamol)/Pepto bismol (bismuth salicylate)/azithromycin/ Xanax (alprazolam)/ Vicodin (aspirin and hydrocodone)/oxycodone/hydrocodone. However, please consult your doctor before use
Q. Can ondansetron make you sleepy?
Ondansetron may cause sleepiness/dizziness. If you notice such symptoms, please consult your doctor
Q. Does ondansetron contain acetaminophen/aspirin/penicillin?
No. Ondansetron is by itself a chemical compound. It does not contain acetaminophen, aspirin or penicillin
Q. Is ondansetron antibiotic/anti-histaminic/sulfa drug?
No. Ondansetron is not an anti-biotic, sulfa drug or an anti-histaminic. It is an anti-emetic drug used to treat nausea and vomiting
Q. Is Emeset safe for infants/toddlers?
Emeset should not be used in infants/toddlers unless prescribed by the doctor
Q. Is Ondansetron an OTC drug?
No. Ondansetron is a prescription drug. It is not available over the counter
Q. Is ondansetron a controlled substance?
No. Ondansetron is not a controlled substance.
Q. Q. Can I take Ondansetron with omeprazole?
Ondansetron is an anti-emetic medicine which helps in relieving nausea (feeling sick) or vomiting. No harmful effects have been seen when omeprazole is used with Ondansetron. So, these two medicines can be taken together.