Information about Hydroxyzine
Hydroxyzine is used in the treatment of allergic disorders.
How hydroxyzine works
Hydroxyzine blocks the action of certain chemical messengers that are responsible for inflammation, congestion, itching, and other allergic reactions.
Common side effects of hydroxyzine
Drowsiness, Anxiety, Dizziness, Dry mouth, Dry nose, Dry throat, Dry skin, Shortness of breath, Muscle weakness, Nasal congestion, Chest congestion, Skin redness, Stomach upset.
Available Medicine for Hydroxyzine
- ₹30 to ₹77Dr Reddy's Laboratories Ltd5 variant(s)
- ₹18 to ₹44Mankind Pharma Ltd4 variant(s)
- ₹23 to ₹52Adcock Ingram Healthcare Pvt Ltd3 variant(s)
- ₹17 to ₹50Yash Pharma Laboratories Pvt Ltd4 variant(s)
- ₹18 to ₹44Palsons Derma3 variant(s)
- ₹20 to ₹55Talent India3 variant(s)
- ₹11 to ₹40Psychotropics India Ltd3 variant(s)
- ₹17 to ₹58Kivi Labs Ltd4 variant(s)
- ₹22 to ₹42Organic Laboratories4 variant(s)
- ₹20 to ₹49Canixa Life Sciences Pvt4 variant(s)
Expert advice for Hydroxyzine
- Do not start or continue the hydroxyzine tablets, if you are allergic (hypersensitive) to hydroxyzine or any of the other ingredients of hydroxyzine tablet.
- The drug can cause drowsiness or dizziness. Do not take hydroxyzine with other medicines that cause drowsiness like other antihistamines, pain or sleep medications or alcohol.
- Stop using hydroxyzine and call your doctor immediately, if you have a serious side effect such as tremors, confusion, seizures, or restless muscle movements in your eyes, tongue, jaw, or neck.
- Do not use hydroxyzine without telling your doctor, if you are pregnant or breast feeding.
Frequently asked questions for Hydroxyzine
Q. Is hydroxyzine hydrochloride a steroid/ narcotic/ benzo/ pain killer /addictive?
No, it is an antihistaminic drug and not a steroid/ narcotic/ benzo/ pain killer/ addictive.Patients should follow the advice of the doctor regarding its use
Q. Is hydroxyzine a controlled substance/ over the counter (OTC)?
No, it is not controlled substance. It is available with doctor's prescription only
Q. Is hydroxyzine Hcl like Xanax?
No, hydroxyzine Hcl is different from Xanax. Xanax contains the drug alprazolam.Both Xanax and hydroxyzine are used for the treatment of anxiety disorders. Patients should follow the advice of the doctor regarding its use
Q. Can I take hydroxyzine for allergies/ pain/ anxiety/ cold?
Hydroxyzine is specifically used for the management of anxiety, itching due to allergies.Patients should follow the advice of the doctor regarding its use
Q. How much hydroxyzine can I take for anxiety/for sleep?
Patient should take hydroxyzine for prescribed dose and duration as advised by doctor
Q. Can I take hydroxyzine with Benadryl/ Nyquil/ tramadol/ Lexapro/ Ambien/ Paxil/ Percocet/ Advil/ cyclobenzaprine/ Tylenol?
Taking other medicines with hydroxyzine may alter the effects of hydroxyzine. Always consult your doctor for the change of dose regimen or an alternative drug of choice that may strictly be required
Q. Does hydroxyzine lower blood pressure /raise blood pressure/ make you tired/ make you gain weight/ get you high/ hair loss/ drowsiness?
Hydroxyzine causing these side effects is rare or uncommon; however consult your doctor if you experience any of these side effects.