SALT INFORMATIONAmlodipine(5 mg)
Amlodipine is used to treat high blood pressure (hypertension) and severe pain in chest.
How it works
Amlodipine belongs to a class of drugs called calcium channel blocker. It reduces the amount of calcium that enters the smooth muscles of the blood vessels and heart. As muscle cells require calcium to contract, reducing the flow of calcium causes the muscle cells to relax and blood vessels to dilate, reducing blood pressure, force and rate of the heartbeat. It improves blood and oxygen supply to the heart muscles.
Common side effects
Chest pain, Flushing, Abdominal pain, Fatigue, Headache, Lightheadedness, Stomach upset, Fainting, Limb swelling, Dizziness, Drowsiness, Palpitations
- STAMLO 5 MG TABLET(15 tablet in strip)Dr Reddy's Laboratories LtdRs. 3.27/tabletRs. 49.05pay 3% more per tablet
- AMLODAC 5 MG TABLET(15 tablet in strip)Zydus CadilaRs. 3.28/tabletRs. 49.23pay 3% more per tablet
- AMLONG 5 MG TABLET(15 tablet in strip)Micro Labs LtdRs. 3.29/tabletRs. 49.30pay 3% more per tablet
- AMLOVAS 5 MG TABLET(15 tablet in strip)Macleods Pharmaceuticals Pvt LtdRs. 3.29/tabletRs. 49.30pay 3% more per tablet
- AMLOKIND 5 MG TABLET(10 tablet in strip)Mankind Pharma LtdRs. 1.16/tabletRs. 11.61save 64% more per tablet
Take the appropriate dose of amlodipine with any liquid, with or without food at any fixed time each day.
Do not drive if you experience side effects like dizziness, sleepiness or blurred vision on taking amlodipine.
Check your blood pressure one week after starting this drug and conuslt your doctor if it has not improved.
It can cause ankle or foot swelling. Consult your doctor if it it doesn't improve over time.
Do not start or continue amlodipine tablets and consult your doctor:
- If you are allergic (hypersensitive) to amlodipine or any of its other ingredients.
- If you are pregnant or planning to become pregnant or breast feeding.
Frequently asked questions
Q. Is amlodipine safe?
Amlodipine is safe if used at prescribed doses for the prescribed duration as advised by your doctor.
Q. Is amlodipine safe during pregnancy?
Studies in animals have shown risk to fetus; however there are no sufficient studies in humans. This drug may be used in pregnant women if benefit outweighs the risk. Patients should follow the advice of the doctor regarding its use.
Q. Is amlodipine a diuretic/ blood thinner/ beta-blocker/ statin/ ACE inhibitor or a nitrate?
Amlodipine is a calcium channel blocker, not a diuretic, blood thinner, beta-blocker, statin, ACE inhibitor or a nitrate.
Q. Can I take amlodipine with Viagra?
Amlodipine does not have any significant interaction with sildenafil, the active ingredient of Viagra. However, consult your doctor before taking both the drugs together.
Q. Does amlodipine cause gout or coughing?
Amlodipine does not cause gout, in fact it can be taken by gout patients for the appropriate indication. Coughing is a very rare side effect of amlodipine.
Q. What is Eslo 2.5 or Amlopres-5 used for?
Eslo 2.5 or Amlopres-5 are some of the trade names of amlodipine and used for the same indications as amlodipine.