Information about Aprepitant
Aprepitant is used in vomiting.
How aprepitant works
Aprepitant inhibits the action of a chemical messenger in the brain that may cause vomiting, during the administration of cancer treatment drugs.
Common side effects of aprepitant
Headache, Dyspepsia, Fatigue, Increased liver enzymes, Decreased appetite, Constipation.
Available Medicine for Aprepitant
- ₹1215 to ₹2310Glenmark Pharmaceuticals Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹1268Abbott India Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹1238Dr Reddy's Laboratories Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹1270Sun Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹1457 to ₹2315Alkem Laboratories Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹1049Intas Pharmaceuticals Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹852 to ₹2310Torrent Pharmaceuticals Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹1300Lupin Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹1000Cipla Ltd1 variant(s)
Expert advice for Aprepitant
- Aprepitant can only prevent nausea and vomiting and is not used for its treatment. Do not start aprepitant if you are already having nausea or vomiting.
- If you have liver disease, you may be monitored with liver function test regularly, as it may affect the breakdown of this medicine in your body.
- You are advised to use another or additional non-hormonal form of birth control method during and after up to 2 months of using aprepitant, as certain hormonal birth control [e.g. birth control pills, skin patches, implants, and certain intrauterine devices (IUDs)] may not work adequately when taken along with aprepitant.
- Do not drive or use machinery while taking Aprepitant as it may make you feel dizzy and sleepy.
Frequently asked questions for Aprepitant
Q. What are aprepitant capsules/ what is aprepitant used for?
Aprepitant is used in adults in combination with other medicines to prevent nausea and vomiting caused by chemotherapy (cancer treatment) or in some cases after a surgery
Q. How does aprepitant work?
Aprepitant is an antiemetic that works by blocking the action of neurokinin, a natural substance in the brain that causes nausea and vomiting.