Suffering from back pain? You are not alone. It is the second most common reason for a doctor’s visit, first being common cold and second only to headache as the most common neurologic complaint.
Why is the back pain so common?
The spine is an intricate structure with interconnecting bones, joints, muscles, ligaments, and nerves that work together providing the body great strength, support, and flexibility. However, this complex arrangement makes the spine vulnerable, and even a small injury can often cause pain. Back pain can be acute (lasting for less than 6 weeks) or chronic (lasting longer than 12 weeks).
Back pain is a symptom, cause for which is difficult to ascertain in the majority of the cases. It can be broadly categorized as follows:
1. Mechanical (most common): It can occur due to physical injury or change in the structure of the spine.
Causes: Sprain or strain, arthritis, ruptured or bulging discs, spondylosis, vertebral compression fracture, and structural irregularities.
2. Non-mechanical: Not directly related to the structure of the spine but is a secondary effect of non-spinal disorders.
Causes: Infections such as tuberculosis, paraspinal abscess, tumors, Inflammatory diseases such as spondyloarthritis
3. Referred pain: Pain located at a distance from its cause
Causes: Kidney stones and infection, gallbladder diseases, and aneurysms
Homeopathy is a holistic system of medicine that is based on the tenets “like cures like”. Homeopathic medicines are prescribed after a detailed case study, considering the physical as well as the emotional health of the patient and not just the symptoms. Homeopathic medicines have shown to have the following effects:
1. They reduce oxidative stress which particularly helps in degenerative disorders and improves plasma vitamin C levels.
2. They improve stiffness, pain score, and functional index in inflammatory conditions.
3. Reduction in tender point pain and better quality of life is seen in cases of fibromyalgia.
4. Improvement in pain comes without any side-effects.
Some of the commonly used homeopathic remedies for back pain are as follows:
1. Rhus Toxicodendron: Effective in back pain that occurs between the shoulders while swallowing. Is also helpful in cases of left-sided back pain that radiates to the thighs (sciatica) and muscular rheumatism. Rhus tox is commonly used in cases where pain increases after rest or is present during initial movements but resolves after continued motion.
2. Calcarea Fluorica: It is useful in cases of back pain caused conditions such as sciatica, where spinal structures compress nerves. Other symptoms include a sensation of fullness in the back with burning sensation and pain that is aggravated by initial motion but improves after continued motion.
3. Bryonia Alba: Indicated in cases of back pain, especially right-sided pain where it resolves with rest but is aggravated by motion and while lying on the affected side. It is given to patients who experience intense pain, which aggravates with higher temperatures.
4. Arnica Montana: This is an anti-injury remedy. It is commonly indicated in cases of back pain or stiffness due to trauma or overexertion. It has also shown to be useful in cases of extreme back pain where the patient is unable to walk erect.
5. Nux Vomica: More commonly used in cases of mechanical back pain that is aggravated by lying on the back and relieved by sitting or lying on one side. There is tingling and aching sensation in the back that worsens with contact and motion.
Back pain is not a disease but a collection of symptoms, which needs to be treated holistically. If you are one of those who has a long history of back pain but conventional medicine has not been able to put an end to your problem, it is time for you to fix an appointment with a Homeopath.
6 Easy Tips To Get Relief From Back Pain And Stiffness
Know The Reason Behind Your Mid Back Pain