Here are some facts and simple tips that will help you enjoy the monsoons and keep you safe from some serious diseases of the rainy season.
Diseases spread by mosquitoes
Dengue, malaria and chickungunya are spread by mosquitoes and are very common in the rainy season. The symptoms are sudden-onset of high grade fever, headache, muscle and joint pains, rash, shivering, muscle pain and weakness. If left untreated, they can be life threatening.
- Use mosquito screens, nets, fiber glass meshes or magnetic insect repellent screens for your windows and doors
- Apply a mosquito repellent cream and wear full sleeved clothing when heading outdoors.
- Avoid water stagnation in your area.
- Frequently change the water in your coolers.
- Spray DDT in the drains and any stagnant water near your home.
Diseases spread by waterlogging
Leptospirosis is a bacterial infection that spreads from rat urine contaminated water. The bacteria can enter through cuts, scraped, worn area or through mucous membrane from the eyes, nose, sinuses and mouth.
Symptoms include high fever and chills with severe headaches and body ache, pain in calf muscles, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea and abdominal pain.
- Avoid walking in stagnant water, especially near garbage sites.
- If you happen to walk in stagnant water, then wash your legs with clean water.
- If you have scratches and cuts use adhesive bandage to cover the wound.
- Wear gum boots if you have to walk through water-logged areas regularly.
Diseases spread by contaminated food
Having contaminated food or water can cause gastrointestinal infection, loose stools, vomiting and dehydration. It is very common in rainy season and is caused by food or water contaminated with bacteria or parasites.
- Drink boiled or filtered water.
- Wash your hands thoroughly after using the washroom
- Stay away from street food
- Try and eat freshly prepared food and avoid reheated food.
- If you get diarrhea, immediately start drinking ORS solution and keep taking sips throughout the day. Dehydration from loose stools can be fatal.