Enlarged prostate and prostate cancer are the most common problems seen amongst the men these days. Doctors now advice men, especially middle-aged and elderly men to get regular prostate screening. Any dysfunction of the prostate gland may show symptoms like weak urine stream, frequent urination, painless enlargement etc. In order to maintain a good prostate health, you may add these prostate health-boosting foods to your diet.
7 superfoods good for maintaining prostate health:
1. Broccoli: This green vegetable is known for its anti-cancer properties. Regular consumption of broccoli in the diet helps in facilitating body’s detoxification process, which helps in rapidly removing potential cancer-causing elements. Apart from broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, spinach, and sprouts also aid in boosting prostate health.
2. Green tea: You must have heard about several benefits of green tea. Apart from those benefits, green tea helps in lowering the risk of prostate cancer and lower urinary tract symptoms.
3. Mushrooms: A lot of people don’t like eating mushrooms. But they aren’t that bad too. Mushrooms, especially Asian varieties, have the ability to fight off cancer. Due to extravagant antioxidant properties, ergothioneine component in mushrooms helps to protect the cells throughout the body, including the prostate.
4. Pomegranate: Pomegranates are also named as ‘miracle foods’ due to their rich antioxidant content. This fruit helps in reducing prostate cancer cells and also hinders prostate enlargement.
5. Seafood: Salmon, sardines, etc. are a rich source of omega-3 fatty acids that help in reducing inflammation of the prostate gland. However, if you are a vegetarian, you can go for nuts and seeds such as flax seeds, pumpkin, chia seeds. They are equally effective for your prostate health.
6. Sesame seeds: Sesame seeds are rich in zinc and zinc is considered to be essential for a healthy prostate. One should consume zinc that comes from food as it is readily absorbed by the body rather than the zinc supplements. Other sources of zinc are almonds and pumpkin seeds.
7. Soy: A recent study has proved that soy has helped in reducing cancer cell growth in the prostate gland. You should include soy milk, tofu, soy yogurt or other whole soy foods in your diet to reduce the risk of prostate cancer.
Foods you should avoid for your prostate health
Apart from consuming foods good for the prostate, one should know about the foods that negatively impact your prostate health. Try to avoid these foods or reduce their consumption to maintain a healthy prostate.
1. Red meat, processed meat
2. Dairy (full-fat cheese, whole milk, whole yogurt)
3. Tobacco and alcohol
5. Processed foods and sugar
Prostate health is necessary for proper functioning of a male reproductive system. Know its importance and take care of your prostate. Eat healthy! Live healthy!