SALT INFORMATIONNitrofurantoin(100 mg)
Nitrofurantoin is used to prevent and treat bacterial infections of the bladder, kidney and other parts of the urinary tract (eg. inflammation of the pelvis or outlet of the kidney: pyelitis).
How it works
Nitrofurantoin belongs to a group of medicines called nitrofuran antibiotics. It acts by inhibiting protein synthesis of bacteria.
Common side effects
Flatulence, Hepatitis (viral infection of liver), Loss of appetite, Skin rash, Hemolytic anemia, Diarrhoea, Urine discolouration, Joint pain, Nausea, Indigestion, Stomach upset, Allergic reaction, Dizziness, Drowsiness, Liver transaminases increased
- NIFTAS 100MG TABLET(10 tablet in strip)Intas Pharmaceuticals LtdRs. 11.35/tabletRs. 113.50pay 7% more per tablet
- URIFAST 100 MG TABLET(10 tablet in strip)Cipla LtdRs. 12.55/tabletRs. 125.50pay 19% more per tablet
- FURENT 100MG TABLET(10 tablet in strip)TTK Healthcare LtdRs. 7.96/tabletRs. 79.60save 25% more per tablet
- NIFUTIN 100MG TABLET(10 tablet in strip)Ipca Laboratories LtdRs. 10.75/tabletRs. 107.50pay 2% more per tablet
- URITOP 100 MG TABLET(20 tablet in strip)Astrum Healthcare Pvt LtdRs. 3.58/tabletRs. 71.50save 66% more per tablet
- Take nitrofurantoin tablets after food or milk for optimum absorption.
- Do not drive or operate heavy machinery because you may feel sleepy or dizzy while being treated with nitrofurantoin.
- Tell your doctor if you are taking nitrofurantoin and undergoing urine glucose test, as it may affect the result.
- Do not take this drug if you are in the last 2 to 4 weeks of your pregnancy.
- Do not breast feed your baby while you are taking this drug.
- Do not take it with antacids that contain magnesium.
Frequently asked questions
Q. Does nitrofurantoin contain sulfa or a form of penicillin, macrolide, or tetracycline?
No, nitrofurantoin does not contain sulfa or not a penicillin, macrolide, or tetracycline drug. It is nitrofuran antibiotic.
Q. Can I take nitrofurantoin for sinus, tooth, or yeast infections; tonsillitis, bronchitis, strep throat, sexually transmitted infection (chlamydia), or urinary tract infection (UTI)?
Nitrofurantoin is specifically treat infection of bladder kidneys, and UTI. It is not used for any other infections. Please consult your doctor for your medical condition before taking the drug.
Q. Can I take nitrofurantoin with amoxicillin, metronidazole, ibuprofen, paracetamol, omeprazole, trimethoprim, amitriptyline, hydrocodone?
Nitrofurantoin is not reported to interact with amoxicillin, metronidazole, ibuprofen, paracetamol, omeprazole, trimethoprim, amitriptyline, or hydrocodone. Please follow the advice of the doctor regarding their simultaneous use.
Q. Can I take nitrofurantoin with milk or alcohol?
Yes, you can take nitrofurantoin with milk but it should not be used with alcohol.
Q. Does nitrofurantoin cause constipation or discolor urine?
Nitrofurantoin may discolor the urine, but it is not known to cause constipation. Please consult your doctor before taking the drug.
Q. Is nitrofurantoin better than trimethoprim?
Both nitrofurantoin and trimethoprim are effective against bladder, kidney, and urinary tract infections. Any of them can be better depending on sensitivity of bacterial infection. Consult your doctor for appropriate prescription based on your medical condition.
Q. Is nitrofurantoin a narcotic drug?
No, nitrofurantoin is not a narcotic drug.
Q. Does nitrofurantoin affect birth control?
Nitrofurantoin reduces the activity of estrogen-containing contraceptive products and hence may result in birth control failure. Consult your doctor for alternative birth control measures if needed.
Q. Is nitrofurantoin safe during pregnancy?
No, nitrofurantoin should not be taken during pregnancy. Please consult your doctor for alternate medication.
Q. Is nitrofurantoin safe?
Nitrofurantoin is relatively safe if used at prescribed doses for the prescribed duration as advised by your doctor.