Information about Clozapine
Clozapine is used in the treatment of schizophrenia.
How clozapine works
Clozapine is an atypical antipsychotics. It works by modulating the action of certain chemical messengers in the brain that affects thoughts.
Common side effects of clozapine
Sleepiness, Dizziness, Constipation, Weight gain, Orthostatic hypotension (sudden lowering of blood pressure on standing), Dryness in mouth, Restlessness, Tremor, Muscle rigidity
Available Medicine for Clozapine
- ₹26 to ₹175Sun Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd4 variant(s)
- ₹26 to ₹174Intas Pharmaceuticals Ltd4 variant(s)
- ₹25 to ₹82Torrent Pharmaceuticals Ltd3 variant(s)
- ₹23 to ₹158Alkem Laboratories Ltd5 variant(s)
- ₹24 to ₹75Tripada Healthcare Pvt Ltd3 variant(s)
- ₹24 to ₹136Icon Life Sciences5 variant(s)
- ₹24 to ₹67La Pharmaceuticals3 variant(s)
- ₹24 to ₹140Arinna Lifescience Pvt Ltd4 variant(s)
- ₹24 to ₹76Nusearch Organic2 variant(s)
- ₹25 to ₹79Crescent Therapeutics Ltd3 variant(s)
Expert advice for Clozapine
- Inform your doctor before taking the medicine if you have kidney, liver or heart disease, prostate problem, difficulty in passing urine, diabetes or elevated blood sugar levels, chronic constipation, glaucoma, blood clots or history of blood clots, epilepsy, galactose intolerance or Lapp lactase deficiency, diseases of the large intestine, heart problems (problems with QT interval), or if you have risk factors for stroke (high blood pressure or problems in the blood vessels of the brain), or if you have had an abdominal surgery in the past.
- Do not drive or operate heavy machinery and be careful while getting up from a sitting or lying position after taking clozapine as it may make you feel dizzy.
- Always ensure you are being regularly monitored for white blood cell count, total blood cell count, heart rate (ECG), liver function, and lipid function by taking appropriate tests.
- Avoid smoking, regular caffeine intake, and alcohol while taking this medicine, as it may worsen the side effects.
- Tell your doctor if you are or planning to become pregnant or are breastfeeding.
Frequently asked questions for Clozapine
Q. Is Clozapine safe?
Yes. Clozapine is relatively safe if used as recommended. In case of any side-effects, please consult your doctor
Q. Is Clozapine a narcotic, addictive, controlled substance?
Clozapine is not a narcotic, addictive or a controlled drug
Q. Is Clozapine a benzodiazepine?
No. Clozapine is not a benzodiazepine. It is an anti-psychotic agent
Q. Can I take ibuprofen with clozapine?
Yes. You can take ibuprofen with clozapine if prescribed by your doctor
Q. Does Clozapine cause erectile dysfunction, tardive dyskinesia, weight-gain, sleepiness or low sperm count?
Clozapine may cause erectile dysfunction, low sperm count, sleepiness, weight gain or tardive dyskinesia. If you experience any such symptoms, please consult your doctor
Q. Does Clozapine help with anxiety?
Clozapine decreases anxiety and other symptoms in patients suffering from schizophrenia.