Information about Norfloxacin
Norfloxacin is used in the treatment of bacterial infections. It is also used in infections of urinary tract, gastrointestinal tract, tonsils, sinus, nose, throat, female genital organ, skin & soft tissues and lungs (pneumonia).
How norfloxacin works
Norfloxacin is an antibiotic. It works by stopping the action of a bacterial enzyme called DNA-gyrase. This prevents the bacterial cells from dividing and repairing, thereby killing them.
Common side effects of norfloxacin
Headache, Dizziness, Allergic reaction, Nausea, Stomach pain, Diarrhea
Available Medicine for Norfloxacin
- ₹26 to ₹49Cipla Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹48Laborate Pharmaceuticals India Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹31Wings Biotech Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹22 to ₹80Elfin Pharma Pvt Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹8Natco Pharma Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹85Apex Laboratories Pvt Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹20 to ₹24Elite Pharma Pvt Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹37Ajanta Pharma Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹30Swiss Pharma Pvt Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹7Deys Medical1 variant(s)
Expert advice for Norfloxacin
- Your doctor has prescribed Norfloxacin to cure your infection and improve symptoms.
- Do not skip any doses and finish the full course of treatment even if you feel better.
- Discontinue Norfloxacin and inform your doctor immediately if you get a rash, itchy skin, swelling of face and mouth, or have difficulty in breathing.
- Diarrhea may occur as a side effect but should stop when your course is complete. Inform your doctor if it doesn't stop or if you find blood in your stools.
- Notify your doctor if you feel pain in your tendons, numbness, or tingling sensations.
- Inform your doctor if you are pregnant or planning to conceive or breastfeeding.
Frequently asked questions for Norfloxacin
Q. Can the use of Norfloxacin cause diarrhea?
Yes, the use of Norfloxacin can cause diarrhea. It is an antibiotic which kills the harmful bacteria. However, it also affects the helpful bacteria in your stomach or intestine and causes diarrhea. If you are experiencing severe diarrhea, talk to your doctor about it.
Q. Can I stop taking Norfloxacin when I feel better?
No, do not stop taking Norfloxacin and complete the full course of treatment even if you feel better. Your symptoms may improve before the infection is completely cured.
Q. Can the use of Norfloxacin increase the risk of muscle damage?
Yes, use of Norfloxacin is known to increase the risk of muscle damage, commonly in the ankle (achilies tendon). Muscle damage can happen in people of all ages who take Norfloxacin. Inform your doctor if you feel any kind of muscle pain while using this medicine.