SALT INFORMATIONDoripenem(500 mg)
Complicated intra-abdominal infections, complicated urinary tract infections, pyelonephritis, nosocomial pneumonia.
How it works
Doripenem is an antimicrobial drug that belongs to class of medications called carbapenem. It works by arresting the bacterial cell wall synthesis resulting in bacterial cell death.
Common side effects
phlebitis, nausea, vulvomycotic infection, increase in liver enzyme, pruritus, diarrhea, rashes., Oral candidiasis, headache
- Inform your doctor if you have a history of seizures (fits) or are on medications for fits (like valproic acid). In case you experience seizures while on treatment consult your doctor immediately.
- Seek immediate medical attention if you develop severe skin rash, or diarrhea.
- Evaluate if diarrhea occurs while on treatment as it can be life threatening resulting from Pseudomembranous colitis caused by Clostridium difficile.
- Take doripenem medication for the full prescribed length even if you feel fine in order to help the infection get completely cleared.
- Do not skip doses as this may increase your risk of further infections.
- Do not take doripenem to treat a viral infection such as the common cold or flu.
- Tell your doctor if you are or planning to become pregnant or are breastfeeding.
Frequently asked questions
Q. Is doripenem safe during pregnancy?
Doripenem can be taken during pregnancy if the benefit outweighs the risk. Please follow your doctor's advice regarding its use.
Q. Is it safe to use doripenem during breastfeeding?
Doripenem should be given only if the potential benefit justifies the potential risk to the baby. Please follow your doctor's advice regarding its use.
Q. What is doripenem used for?
Doripenem is used to treat complicated urinary tract infections including pyelonephritis (inflammation of kidney due to bacterial infections), and complicated bacterial infections of the abdomen. Doripenem is also used to treat some nosocomial infections (infections acquired in the hospital facility) such as nosocomial pneumonia.
Q. Does doripenem cover pseudomonas/ MRSA?
Yes, doripenem is active against pseudomonas, but not against MRSA
Q. How does doripenem work?
Doripenem belongs to class of medications called carbapenem antimicrobials. It works by arresting the bacterial cell wall synthesis resulting in bacterial cell death.