Information about Doripenem
Doripenem is used in serious bacterial infections. It is used in infections of various body parts like skin and soft tissues, urinary tract, blood, brain and lungs (pneumonia).
How doripenem works
Doripenem is an antibiotic. It kills bacteria by preventing them from forming their own protective covering which is required for their survival in the human body.
Common side effects of doripenem
Nausea, Vomiting, Seizure
Available Medicine for Doripenem
- ₹4437Glenmark Pharmaceuticals Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹1680 to ₹3066Sun Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹2042Micro Labs Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹3520Cipla Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹4300Abbott1 variant(s)
- ₹2950Zydus Cadila1 variant(s)
- ₹1432Alkem Laboratories Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹2790Aristo Pharmaceuticals Pvt Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹2900Samarth Life Sciences Pvt Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹2750Unichem Laboratories Ltd1 variant(s)
Expert advice for Doripenem
- Inform your doctor if you have a history of seizures (fits) or are on medications for fits (like valproic acid). In case you experience seizures while on treatment consult your doctor immediately.
- Seek immediate medical attention if you develop severe skin rash, or diarrhea.
- Evaluate if diarrhea occurs while on treatment as it can be life threatening resulting from Pseudomembranous colitis caused by Clostridium difficile.
- Take doripenem medication for the full prescribed length even if you feel fine in order to help the infection get completely cleared.
- Do not skip doses as this may increase your risk of further infections.
- Do not take doripenem to treat a viral infection such as the common cold or flu.
- Tell your doctor if you are or planning to become pregnant or are breastfeeding.
Frequently asked questions for Doripenem
Q. What is Doripenem used for?
Doripenem is used to treat complicated urinary tract infections including pyelonephritis (inflammation of kidney due to bacterial infections), and complicated bacterial infections of the abdomen. Doripenem is also used to treat some nosocomial infections (infections acquired in the hospital facility) such as nosocomial pneumonia
Q. Does Doripenem cover pseudomonas/ MRSA?
Yes, Doripenem is active against pseudomonas, but not against MRS
Q. How does Doripenem work?
Doripenem belongs to class of medications called carbapenem antimicrobials. It works by arresting the bacterial cell wall synthesis resulting in bacterial cell death.