Information about Doripenem
Doripenem is used in serious bacterial infections.
How doripenem works
Doripenem is an antibiotic. It kills the bacteria by attacking their cell wall. Specifically, it prevents the synthesis of a substance in the cell wall called peptidoglycan, which provides the cell wall with the strength required for survival of bacteria in human body.
Common side effects of doripenem
Nausea, Vomiting, Seizure
Available Medicine for Doripenem
- ₹3380Glenmark Pharmaceuticals Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹2042Micro Labs Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹3520Cipla Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹3514Abbott India Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹2839Zydus Cadila1 variant(s)
- ₹2791Samarth Life Sciences Pvt Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹2619Unichem Laboratories Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹1925Neon Laboratories Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹2990Bharat Serums & Vaccines Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹2800Orchid Chemicals & Pharmaceuticals Ltd1 variant(s)
Expert advice for Doripenem
- Inform your doctor if you have a history of seizures (fits) or are on medications for fits (like valproic acid). In case you experience seizures while on treatment consult your doctor immediately.
- Seek immediate medical attention if you develop severe skin rash, or diarrhea.
- Evaluate if diarrhea occurs while on treatment as it can be life threatening resulting from Pseudomembranous colitis caused by Clostridium difficile.
- Take doripenem medication for the full prescribed length even if you feel fine in order to help the infection get completely cleared.
- Do not skip doses as this may increase your risk of further infections.
- Do not take doripenem to treat a viral infection such as the common cold or flu.
- Tell your doctor if you are or planning to become pregnant or are breastfeeding.
Frequently asked questions for Doripenem
Q. What is Doripenem used for?
Doripenem is used to treat complicated urinary tract infections including pyelonephritis (inflammation of kidney due to bacterial infections), and complicated bacterial infections of the abdomen. Doripenem is also used to treat some nosocomial infections (infections acquired in the hospital facility) such as nosocomial pneumonia
Q. Does Doripenem cover pseudomonas/ MRSA?
Yes, Doripenem is active against pseudomonas, but not against MRS
Q. How does Doripenem work?
Doripenem belongs to class of medications called carbapenem antimicrobials. It works by arresting the bacterial cell wall synthesis resulting in bacterial cell death.