Information about Warfarin
Warfarin is used to prevent stroke prevention, deep vein thrombosis and pulmonary embolism. It prevents the formation of blood clots in the legs, lungs, brain or heart.
How warfarin works
Warfarin is an anticoagulant. It works by preventing the formation of harmful blood clots. Although it does not dissolve the existing blood clots, it prevents them from growing larger and causing blockages in the blood vessels.
Common side effects of warfarin
Available Medicine for Warfarin
- ₹24 to ₹103Cipla Ltd10 variant(s)
- ₹23 to ₹26Torrent Pharmaceuticals Ltd3 variant(s)
- ₹29Samarth Life Sciences Pvt Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹33 to ₹44Parnasa Mediworld Pvt Ltd3 variant(s)
- ₹37Johnlee Pharmaceuticals Pvt Ltd1 variant(s)
Expert advice for Warfarin
- Warfarin increases your risk of bleeding. Be careful while shaving, cutting fingernails or toenails, using sharp objects or engaging in contact sports (e.g. football, wrestling).
- Notify your doctor if you see blood in your vomit, urine or stool (black, tarry stools or bright red blood).
- Avoid making sudden major changes to your diet during treatment with this medicine.
- Do not consume alcohol while taking Warfarin as this may increase its side effects.
- If you are going to have a surgery or dental treatment, you may be asked to stop taking Warfarin temporarily.
- Do not discontinue use without consulting your doctor as this may increase your chances of having another heart attack or stroke.
Frequently asked questions for Warfarin
Q. Can the use of Warfarin increase the risk of bleeding?
Yes, Warfarin increases the risk of bleeding. Always be careful while doing activities that may cause an injury or bleeding. Tell your doctor immediately if you notice any abnormal bruising or bleeding.
Q. What medicines should I avoid while taking Warfarin?
Warfarin can interact with several medicines. Do not take any medicine without talking to your doctor.
Q. When will I feel better after taking Warfarin?
Warfarin reduces your risk of developing blood clots in the blood vessels of your leg, lungs, heart and brain. You may not feel any difference after taking Warfarin. However, keep taking this medicine as prescribed by your doctor because you will still be getting its full benefits.