By Dr. Farhan Ahmad Khan
- Take full course of antibiotics as per doctor’s prescription. Complete the prescribed course of treatment even if you start feeling better.
- Never take leftover antibiotics from previous treatments or get antibiotics at the pharmacy without a prescription. Do not practice self-medication with antibiotics.
- Antibiotics cannot cure every illness.
- Taking antibiotics when they are not required leads to antibiotic resistance. This means that the antibiotic is no longer effective against the bacteria that it was manufactured for.
- Antibiotics should not be prescribed for common cold because it is a viral disease.
- Ask your doctor if you need any tests to make sure the right antibiotic is prescribed.
- Ask your doctor when is the best time to take the antibiotic. The efficacy of many antibiotics changes with consumption with or after meal.
- Always inform the doctors if you are taking other drugs too.
- Do not keep switching your doctors. Always carry your previous prescriptions when consulting a doctor.
- Inform the doctor if you have a previous history of allergy to any type of antibiotics.
- If you miss a dose, inform the doctor before taking the next dose