Dr Sajeela Maini, Author: The Last Puff
As soon as you quit smoking, your body starts repairing the damage immediately, starting a series of countless health changes that will continue for years:
- After 20 minutes your blood pressure and pulse rate return to normal
- After 8 hours oxygen levels in the blood return to normal and chances of heart attack start to fall
- After 24 hours, harmful carbon monoxide is removed from the body. The lungs start to clear out
- After 48 hours, nicotine gets completely washed off from body. You can taste and smell things better
- After 72 hours, your breathing becomes easier and your energy levels increase
- Within 2-12 weeks, your blood circulation improves and you can walk briskly
- Within 3-9 months, your breathing problems like coughing, breathlessness improve
- In 5 years, your risk of heart attack is reduced to about half of that of a smoker!
- In 10 years, your risk of lung cancer falls to about half of that of a smoker!