If you have a desk job and are constantly spending time on your computer, then there are high chances that you might be suffering from back pain. Moreover sitting in a chair for long not only puts pressure on your back but also causes you to put on weight, which in turn can lead to back problems. So to help you minimize the effect of constant sitting on your back and relieve back pain, Grand Master Akshar, Founder & Chairman, Akshar Yoga has shared some of the common yoga asanas for back pain.
If you are a beginner or have never tried any yoga asanas, then it is wise to perform these asanas under expert guidance till you master the art. Also, do talk to your doctor if you can try yoga asanas as certain health problems might get worsened. Here are some of the common yoga poses to fight and prevent back pain which you can try at home.
Yoga asanas for back pain
1. Shalabhasana: One of the simple and effective yoga asanas for back pain, shalabhasana is known to relax and relieve the strain in the muscles of the back. The posture also helps strengthen the entire back and aids in relieving back pain. Here’s how to do shalabhasana to get rid of back pain.
Lie on your stomach with your legs stretched out. Now stretch your hands out as well. Inhale as you gently lift your hands and legs off the floor. As you do so, ensure that the entire body is balanced on the stomach.
This causes a stretch in the back which eases the pressure in the back and lower back. However, one should keep in mind that as you perform this asana, do it within your comfort and limits of your body and do not overexert the body as you stretch.
2. Ardha Matsyendrasana: This yoga asana is known to improve symptoms of back pain, especially in people suffering from lower back problems. It also strengthens your back and relieves back pain. The asana is also useful for people suffering from a slipped disc. However, it should be done under expert guidance to reap its benefits for back pain. Here’s how to perform the ardha matsyendrasana to relieve backache.
-Sit down such that the sole of the feet touches the floor and your knees facing the ceiling.
-Now, slowly shift your right leg down without lifting the feet off the ground such that the knee touches the floor. Slip your right leg in between the gap of your left foot and left thigh.
-Tuck your right foot as close to your pelvis as possible. Twist your upper body towards the right and place your right arm behind you for support.
-Bring your left arm over and across your left knee and hold your left foot. Turn your neck and focus your gaze behind you. Repeat the same with the left leg touching the floor.
“Trust Ayurveda, Get Lasting Relief, It Is Not Slow” Visit Our Ayurvedic Bone And Muscle Care Store Now..!!
3. Dandasana: This asana helps to strengthen the muscles on your back and thus, aids in relieving back pain. You can even improve your posture by practicing this asana regularly. This yoga asana for back pain is also known to aid in the treatment of sciatica and asthma by relaxing the muscles and improving breathing. Here is how to do dandasana to improve back pain.
-Sit on a floor in a cross-legged position such as sukhasana, which is the most common pose for meditation.
– Now, stretch out your legs as much as possible such that the legs lie parallel to each other and toes pointed upwards.
-As you stretch your legs, tighten the muscles of your pelvis, thighs, and calves so that you can feel the strain in your legs and back.
-Ensure that your back is straight. Place your palms beside your hips on the floor as you do the asana. This is one of the simplest yoga asanas for back pain that anyone can perform.
4. Bhujangasana: It is one of the very few yoga asanas which are known to improve the overall health. Bhujangasana not only tones your body and enhances the activity of the spinal nerves but also helps to keep your bones strong. This yoga asana is very useful to keep your back healthy by making the spine strong and very agile. Here are the steps for the formation of the posture.
-Lie on your stomach. Slowly raise your trunk and head with the support of the palms alone. The arms should be bent at the elbows.
-Arch your neck slightly backward and look up. As you do so, make sure that your navel is pressed against the floor. Try this asana every day to ease the strain on the back and get rid of back pain.
5. Advasana: Also known as the reverse corpse pose, advasana alleviates the strain in the back and shoulders. It not only relieves tension in the muscles but also helps to ease stress. It also acts as an effective yoga asana to treat frozen shoulders. However, talk to your yoga expert and doctor before you try out this yoga asana to reap its health benefits. Here is how you can do advasana at home.
-To start, lie down on your stomach. Now, extend your arms to the front and join your palms.
-Gently stretch your arms as much as possible. As you do so, ensure that your forehead is touching the floor or mat. Hold on the posture for a while and retain to the starting position.
-Do this yoga asana every day to stretch the muscles in the back and the arms and get rid of back pain.
**Consult India’s best doctors here**
Do try these simple yoga asanas for back pain and let us know how did you benefit from the asana. Write it down in the comments section below.
(The article is reviewed by Dr. Lalit Kanodia, General Physician and Dr. Deepak Soni, Ayurvedachrya)
Are You Suffering From Lower Back Pain? Be Aware Of These Reasons