- Inform your doctor if you have: kidney or liver problems; heart disease, abnormal heart beats or high blood pressure; overactive thyroid gland; enlarged prostate gland; indigestion or heartburn; or illness affecting the nerves.
- Take precautions as you may have reduced salivary secretions which could lead to dental caries, parodontosis or oral candidiasis.
- Exercise caution as you may have heat prostration (overheating of the body due to extreme weather conditions) due to decreased sweating if you are in high environmental temperatures.
- If you are an elderly suffering from dementia, oxybutynin may further decline your cognitive function.
- Do not drive or operate machines while on oxybutynin treatment as it may cause drowsiness or blurred vision.
- Oxybutynin is not recommended in children below 5 years of age.
- Tell your doctor if you are or planning to become pregnant or are breastfeeding.
Frequently asked questions
Q. Is oxybutynin safe during pregnancy?
Oxybutynin can be taken during pregnancy if the benefit outweighs the risk. Please follow your doctor's advice regarding its use.
Q. Is it safe to use oxybutynin during breastfeeding?
Oxybutynin should be given only if the potential benefit justifies the potential risk to the baby. Please follow your doctor's advice regarding its use.
Q. Is oxybutynin a controlled substance?
No, oxybutynin is not a controlled substance.
Q. Is oxybutynin a diuretic, an antibiotic or a pain killer?
No, oxybutynin is not a diuretic, antibiotic or a pain killer.
Q. Is oxybutynin comparable to Vesicare?
Such comparisons between drugs cannot be drawn. Therapeutic indication and application of each of the drugs are based on clinical evidences.
Q. Is oxybutynin a muscle relaxer?
Oxybutynin relaxes the bladder muscle.
Q. Is oxybutynin a blood thinner/ opiate/ an anticholinergic?
No, oxybutynin is not a blood thinner or an opiate. But it is an anticholinergic drug.
Q. Is oxybutynin safe?
Oxybutynin is safe if used at prescribed doses for the prescribed duration as advised by your doctor.
Q. Can I take ibuprofen (advil) with oxybutynin?
There are no known interactions between ibuprofen and oxybutynin. However, please follow your doctor's advice regarding its use.
Q. Does oxybutynin cause constipation and bloating?
Yes, constipation is a common side effect of oxybutynin treatment. It may also cause bloating.
Q. Does oxybutynin make you sleepy?
Yes, oxybutynin may make you feel sleepy.
Q. Does oxybutynin cause dementia?
No, oxybutynin is not known to cause dementia, but it can interact with the drugs used for the treatment of dementia.
Q. Does oxybutynin cause blurred vision/ swelling/ water retention/ weight loss/ blood pressure?
Yes, blurred vision/ swelling/ water retention are common side effects of oxybutynin treatment. However, there are no known effects of oxybutynin on body weight and blood pressure.