SALT INFORMATIONCefpodoxime(200 mg)
Clavulanic Acid(125 mg)
Cefpodoxime is a cephalosporin antiboitic with similar structure as that of penicillin. It is used in the treatment of certain bacterial infections in the body like urinary tract infection, sexually transmitted disease (gonorrhea), lung infection (pneumonia), kidney infection (pyelonephritis), sinusitis, skin or soft tissue Infection, inflammation of tonsils (tonsillitis), sore throat (pharyngitis), and upper respiratory tract infection.
How it works
It works by interfering with the formation of the outer covering (cell wall) of bacteria so that the wall ruptures and results in the death of the bacteria.
Common side effects
Diarrhoea, Skin rash, Stomach upset, Vomiting
Clavulanic acid is used to increase the effect of certain antibiotics (amoxicillin) to treat bacterial infections of the respiratory tract (bronchitis, pneumonia), urinary tract, ear, nose, sinus and throat, skin and soft tissues, bone and joints, and to prevent infections after surgery.
How it works
Clavulanic acid belongs to a group of medicines called beta-lactamase inhibitors. It blocks the activity of a chemical (beta-lactamase), which is secreted by bacteria to protect themselves from antibiotic drugs like amoxicillin, thereby allowing the antibiotics to act against the bacteria. It does not kill bacteria and is never used alone to treat infections.
Common side effects
Diarrhoea, Indigestion, Rash, Itching, Vomiting
- CEPODEM XP 200 MG/125 MG TABLET(10 tablet in strip)Ranbaxy Laboratories LtdRs. 29.90/tabletRs. 299pay 12% more per tablet
- DOXCEF-CV 200 MG/125 MG TABLET(10 tablet in strip)Lupin LtdRs. 30.70/tabletRs. 307pay 15% more per tablet
- MONOCEF O CV 200 MG/125 MG TABLET(6 tablet in strip)Aristo Pharmaceuticals Pvt LtdRs. 22.81/tabletRs. 136.85save 14% more per tablet
- CEFOZYT CV 200 MG/125 MG TABLET(10 tablet in strip)Zydus CadilaRs. 26.70/tabletRs. 267same price
- OPOX CV 200 MG/125 MG TABLET(10 tablet in strip)Hetero Drugs LtdRs. 19.90/tabletRs. 199save 25% more per tablet
Do not take cefpodoxime within 2 hours of antacids or H2 antagonists (ranitidine, famotidine).Take this medicine with meals or a snack for better absorptionMake sure you finish the entire course of treatmentConsult your doctor:
- If you are allergic to cefpodoxime or any other cephalosporin antibiotic such as cefadroxil, cephalexin, penicillin, or any other drugs.
- If you have diarrhea, inflammation of large intestine (colon) colitis, or stomach problems, blood clotting problem.
- If you have or had kidney or liver disease.
- If you are having surgery, including dental surgery, tell the doctor or dentist that you are taking cefpodoxime.
- If you have taken cefpodoxime repeatedly or for longer duration.
Frequently asked questions
Q. Is cefpodoxime a sulfa drug/steroid/penicillin?
No, cefpodoxime belongs to class of medication called as cephalosporin antibiotics.
Q. Is Cefpodoxime/ cefodem xp 325/ cefodem 200/ monocef-o/ kefpod safe?
Cefpodoxime (also available as cefodem xp 325/cefodem 200/ monocef-o/kefpod) is safe at the prescribed dose by the doctor. Patients should follow the advice of the doctor regarding its use.
Q. What are cefpodoxime/ cefodem xp 325/ cefodem 200/ monocef-o/ kefpod/ gudcef 200/ gudcef?
Cefpodoxime belongs to class of medication called as cephalosporin antibiotics. It is used for the treatment of infections caused by bacteria.
Q. Is cefpodoxime a sulfa drug/ penicillin/ steroid/ an antibiotic?
Cefpodoxime is an antibiotic belong to class of medication called as cephalosporin. It is not a steroid and does not contain penicillin or sulpha.
Q. Is antibiotic + clavulanic acid combination effective against STD, MRSA, or pseudomonas infections?
It is effective against sexually transmitted diseases (STD) caused by bacteria and pseudomonas infections, but weakly effective against methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus infections (MRSA).
Q. Is amoxicillin + clavulanic acid (Augmentin) safe in G6PD deficiency?
There are no confirmed studies about the safety of amoxicillin + clavulanic acid (Augmentin) in G6PD deficiency. Consult your doctor before use.
Q. Is amoxicillin + clavulanic acid (Augmentin) nephrotoxic?
If taken in appropriate dosage as prescribed by the doctor, Augmentin is not nephrotoxic.
Q. Does amoxicillin + clavulanic acid (Augmentin) contain sulfa?
No, amoxicillin + clavulanic acid (Augmentin) does not contain sulfa.
Q. Does amoxicillin + clavulanic acid (Augmentin) make you drowsy or tired?
No, amoxicillin + clavulanic acid (Augmentin) does not make you drowsy or tired if taken as prescribed.
Q.Can amoxicillin + clavulanic acid be taken with Nyquil, Xanax, Vyvanse, Mucinex or Azithromycin?
There are either weak or no reported interactions with above mentioned drugs with amoxicillin + clavulanic acid. Please consult your doctor before changing any medication.